Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Plug change at 30K service for all 996s?

• Moderators

I just read on another board that PCNA is now advising dealers that plugs should be changed at the 30K service regardless of the build year for all 996s. This sounds a little fishy to me, as just another way to get more money out of the typical clueless 996 owner.

Can anyone substantiate this rumor?

The best way is to remove the plugs after 30k to see if they are soiled or burnt. I must say 60k sounds a little long for duration. I would probly change mine or at least inspect them at 30k mi. I think they are pretty easy to do if you work on your ride. Anything I can do to improve efficiency and performance is worth the time and parts money. Those that can't wrench will pay hundreds to be raped.

• Moderators
I just read on another board that PCNA is now advising dealers that plugs should be changed at the 30K service regardless of the build year for all 996s.  This sounds a little fishy to me, as just another way to get more money out of the typical clueless 996 owner.

The person said it was a memo. Just like the memo for aftermarket short shifts, and I showed the shift memo to Peter during your Q-tip thing.

It is for the local reps. The mechanics do not usually see them. Means nothing. Like, when is the PCNA company pinic....

post-4-1116369236_thumb.jpg

As a matter of fact, I am just changing them now on my car (finished bank 2 and on to bank 1 after a cup of Java). If you're going to remove everything anyway to check the plugs, putting in new ones would make since since the plugs only cost $8.50 each. Also run your finger inside the plastic tube after the plug is out to see if there is any oil in there. If so, get new O rings from Porsche and replace. The tube can be pulled out easily by inserting your thumb in the tube, bending the thumb and pulling out. They just press back in after oiling the O rings.

• Moderators

So those look like they would be some interesting reading. Tool Pants, since you photograph anything you see that is even vaguely Porsche related, did you copy any more of these? Or even the next page(s) of this example would be great.

I just read on another board that PCNA is now advising dealers that plugs should be changed at the 30K service regardless of the build year for all 996s.  This sounds a little fishy to me, as just another way to get more money out of the typical clueless 996 owner.

Dude, where do you get off calling someone clueless?

• Moderators

I did not take the picture of the memo, someone else did, and that is the only page. That someone is on this and other boards.

I simply save a copy so I could show it to Peter and see if he knew what it was. I showed it to him after the tech session. He knew what it was.