Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Wow surprise continued problems from the 996 Carrera, everything that can happen has happened to me! I recall a post about mayonnaise or some white discharge in the oil filling tube but an having trouble finding it (oil separator issue?) anyway, got off work last night - pretty cold around 40 degrees F and got the check engine light after starting up.... Nothing sounded abhorrent except for a little loss in power but it came back feeling fine.... Go to autozone and their reader won't work about to go to auto parts plus now just to see what the code is but as I was driving 7 miles home on the freeway notice a substantial amount of smoke coming from the back. Realize after stopping that oil has leaked all over the back right side of the engine :( oil level is just slightly low (two bars lower than the max) so I'm looking for the leak (head gasket? Coolant separator?) open the oil input cover and see the white goo.... What's my next move? Jeff in PA if you're not too busy0258fc8a2bd2471a43aa92aa9ddb3866.jpg

Droplets after I park

39ee4e3fc1fbe9c009ec365f3fb7a497.jpg

More drops and oil all over underneath

dd479af14d1f429dbf5a1548562de07d.jpg

Nice juicy mayonnaise or white discharge in he oil filler

Wth

Can someone shed a little light

Ok just got to auto parts plus- reading is for miscellaneous misfire cylinders 1, 2 and 3 are misfiring so maybe it was gasoline dropping all over and burning off not oil. I guess the sludge is just from being cold and the coolant level seems fine as does the oil level. After starting up engine lost power again rpm dropped super low and it was clearly struggling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You've clearly got a problem and, of course, gasoline does not form droplets on a hot engine, as I'm sure you're aware.

"sludge is just from being cold ...."

If it were my car, I wouldn't start the engine again until I knew what had happened.

On the back right side of the engine are the oil pressure sender unit and the oil heater/cooler sitting on top of the engine.  Possibly one of those two are leaking oil.  Head gaskets rarely if never fail on the 996 engine.  If the oil seems to be all underneath the engine, check and make sure the oil filter is tight.  The mayo in the oil filler tube is normal for a car driven in cold weather and not warmed up enough.

I don't know why you would get codes for #1,2,3 cylinders that are on the left bank, unless you are having two different problems at one time.  How old are the plugs/coils?

Edited by DBJoe996

• 2 years later...

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F222434433121

Showing the p0420 code for catalytic converter bank 1, just had an o2 sensor replaced (320+labor) and a new alternator installed (600+ labor) ouch! Was the alternator necessary to change? Doubtful but now I’m trying to save a couple bucks - what does everything think about this brand/product? Any opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk