Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Windshield replacement

Hey guys, I'm planning to get my windshield replaced this Friday because of a crack that's right in my line of vision and was wondering if anyone has had problems after getting it replaced. Any windnoise, rattling, etc? I'm using Harmon Auto Glass/Glass Doctor through my insurance. Anyone used them for their Porsche?

I had mine replaced at 800 miles (rock chip) and it is exactly like stock. My local high end body shop contacted their auto glass supplier, and they swapped windshields in a few hours. Cost was about 900, I think.

Edited by bavarian

Thanks for the response. I feel better about getting it replaced now. I'm always afraid things won't fit back exactly right and i'd end up with more issues than I started with.

• Moderators

This is the company that makes the glass. http://www.saint-gobain-sekurit.com/anglais/default.asp

If I can believe the internet, if the same glass made by the same company is sold without the Porsche logo then it is "aftermarket" glass.

Insurance companies have deals with glass companies, as it saves them money. So they want you to use their glass company.

post-4-1117071207_thumb.jpg

I called them today and they were going to put in the generic PPG windshield. I wanted them to order the oem one. Won't be ready for another week. Hope insurance still covers it.

be sure to check with the insurance company, the difference betw generic and OEM can be significant

i was told to order the trim strip that goes around the glass because it is frequently ruined when removing the old glass

there is a different color for certain models (ie boxster vs boxster s)

some people were told not to drive for a while to let the glue set, but i was not told that when i had mine done

make sure the dashboard and interior pillars are still in good shape wwith nno gouges or extra glue before you leave the shop

i asked for a recommendation at the p-car dealer and they were an approved shop for my insurance company, so it was all good

aloha

steve

I called them today and they were going to put in the generic PPG windshield. I wanted them to order the oem one. Won't be ready for another week. Hope insurance still covers it.

I just got a chip the other day and as a result, a 6 inch crack emerged from the chip. I called my p-dealer and was quoted $520 for oem glass and about $60 for the seals. My windshield does not have the rain sensor. The labor at the dealer is

a flat $188 bucks. I called a few auto glass places and was quoted $800 to $900

and the glass wasn't even oem. Since the crack hit me at a bad time(financially), I took it to a crack repair place. 30 minutes and $70 bucks later, the crack is barely visible and guaranteed not to grow. This will have to do for now until I can't

stand to see that hair line on the passenger side. :(

If you ever get a bulls eye, repair it immediately so the you don't get a crack creeping up. Resin can fill in the cavity and concel the hole very well to a point that it's barely noticiable. I got my repair kit at auto supply store and it takes just 10-15min to use. Results are excellent.

• 1 year later...

Bringing this back from the dead. I got a nasty crack in the windshield and just said goodbye to the Safelite guy (who is using an OEM piece of glass). He said he couldn't do it because a) he didn't have the trim for the windshield, and B) he said that the dash had to come out because of the antenna in the windshield. By the looks of the above picture, it wasn't necessary to pull any part of the dash.

Any educated thoughts on this question.

Bringing this back from the dead. I got a nasty crack in the windshield and just said goodbye to the Safelite guy (who is using an OEM piece of glass). He said he couldn't do it because a) he didn't have the trim for the windshield, and B) he said that the dash had to come out because of the antenna in the windshield. By the looks of the above picture, it wasn't necessary to pull any part of the dash.

Any educated thoughts on this question.

No need to touch dash. Call Safelight and have them send out someone that know what they are doing. Have them get the trim for you to.

Edited by 1999Porsche911

Ironically, Safelite is the installer that is saying this. The trim is being ordered right now. We'll see what they come up with. They still insist that to get the antenna plugged they have to pull the cover closest to the windshield. I'm still skeptical. Anyone accessed the plug for the antenna without messing with the dash?

• Moderators

The antenna wire is behind the right A pillar trim. Depending on your options (diversity antenna) there may be another connector behind the left A pillar trim. Has nothing to do with dash trim. Never seen the plastic defroster trim removed for a windshield replacement.

I removed the A pillar trim myself because the visor screws go into brass threads and I did not want the shop to strip them.

However, the shop manual does say to remove the defroster trim - I guess so it can't possibly be scratched. Then you put it back.

This is the antenna booster and the connector in the A pillar trim that goes from the booster to the antenna wire in the windshield.

post-4-1162417465_thumb.jpg

Thanks Tpants. I guess we (you and I) and them (safelite) are both right. I just am *very* hesitant to have them doing anything that might lead to rattles in the dash.

Lane, fortunately, this is covered entirely by insurance in my state. Frankly, considering the pitting that I had / have in my current windshield it is going to be nice to have a smooth surface again.