Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

starter solenoid 955 cayenne turbo

My 06 cayenne tts did suddenly refused to start during  wife’s friday grocery tour ( ending up on fladbed back home). diagnostics indicated bad starter , and further digging this morning  - gone two out of four graphite brushes.  

Pelican would have a proper replacement, but since this would take a few days i thought to put some other brushes in.  Does anybody know whether there are any compatible replacement brush kits  i could get from a local auto store? 

thanks 

ilja

ED9FA62C-B976-4216-A8E5-E9D82C1CFF01.jpeg

Thanks for the note - RFM. I know, and I gave up on a quick fix this afternoon after attempting to get sth. from two stores  (Autozone / Napa; one rep did not even know what a graphite brush is...), 

I just ordered a rebuilt OE starter from Pelican, along more hardware, accessible w/ intake already off (vac/ water lines./ H2O pump, thermo/ belt. ...) since I have to wait a few days anyway, and the car needs this sooner of later (now @120k).   

The rush was mainly as wife needs a car during week. Currently only the 02C4 remains running, and which one she just does not feel too comfortable driving sheer by size and being a much rougher ride. I will enjoy the bike/train commute this week and hope no more car issues come up this week :)   

I still have my old starter laying around somewhere, not sure if that'd be useful for you to scavenge parts from (I'm in San Jose). It turned over but squealed like a banshee when cold. The squealing was driving me nuts so I replaced it while I had the manifold off last month. 

I replaced it with this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008TW8B34/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by nerdtalker

Thanks nerdtalker! The squeaking is a good point.  i got this randomly , and somehow always attributed to either belt or water pump. good to know, that the starter swap can fix this too:). thanks also for the offer on your starter. I will think about. Fyi - The only use for a used starter coming to my mind is not for automotive use at all - My last engineering travesty involving starters was an electric bathroom flush ( attic-mounted tanks , actuated through starter solenoids from some car ( whatever i could get at auto store) , a timer  circuits for dual flush functionality and all powered by battery and solar cells to charge.). ...The more stuff i have , the more likely the crazy use.... ( this is how the hull of the donor engine for my dyi 996 engine rebuild ended up as coffee table in the living room):)

3235E725-F1F0-42A9-855D-79EAD62ED8BD.jpeg

0D1D5AC7-C935-46CD-A3B6-B527E6CFFFCB.jpeg

Yeah I tracked the squealing down to the starter, both my 986 and another 996 I own had squealing starters. That problem seems to follow me around for some reason. It seemed wrong to throw the old starter away so I think I still have it somewhere among all my parts. Just DM me if you want it. 

That table looks amazing BTW. I've been wanting to make a VR6 block into a table for a while, but some junker M96 engine might be cooler. The casters on the bottom seem like a super smart idea.

guess this noisy starter problem would go with brushless drives ... But likely this would never get mainstream or even cheap , when  the ICE engine has no future anyway....

The rolling chassis was essential on the coffee table for easy move around during cleanup.  Two rollers static, two steering wheels. could be hidden better, but i did not want to spend time to overengineer things....

19 hours ago, sswong98 said:

I recently replaced my starter on 2006 Cayenne S.  The starter was turning slow. PM if you want the starter for parts. 

thanks sswong98. i think the starter issue is tackled by installing  a new one.  still waiting for pump and motor mount, and meanwhile working myself through replacement of misc vac lines now as long as the intake is off. Currently struggling with the T-piece to the intake vent (circled red below). Seems next to impossible to remove the whole piece w/o taking engine out.... Trying to cut out the press-fitments to the metal tubes & replace with alternative design tee.

Pretty low pace at this moment ( 15m /day....)as wife started to like driving the 996 (i am worried about that a bit...), but i really want to get the 955 pig out of the way in the garage for more exciting garage projects.... 

532A349A-C6FA-4469-8BDD-22EA1E7D3A40.jpeg

6D333948-5281-4EA6-AE48-017EF099D605.jpeg