Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

HID Conversion done

• 7 months later...
Looks good.  What kit did you use?

I bought it off ebay. JDM 8000k kit for about $280.

Beats the heak out of those yellow bulbs it had!

Took me about one hour to install taking my time to make sure

i did everything right.

Thanks

Hey there,

How's the brightness on these? I am considering getting these for my Boxster.

I currently use the fake bulbs off of ebay, not too bright :/

Thanks,

mike

Looks good.  What kit did you use?

I bought it off ebay. JDM 8000k kit for about $280.

Beats the heak out of those yellow bulbs it had!

Took me about one hour to install taking my time to make sure

i did everything right.

Thanks

Hey there,

How's the brightness on these? I am considering getting these for my Boxster.

I currently use the fake bulbs off of ebay, not too bright :/

Thanks,

mike

Brightness is alot better than stock and 10 times better than the fake bulbs. I once tried those bulbs and you cant even compare to these hid conversion kit. Im sure that the litronics original kits are better but these aren't too far behind.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, but this looks like a waste of money to me. Not really your fault, as these companies should not be allowed to sell such products.

The reflectors in the halogen headlights are not designed to accomodate the HID light bulb. The end result is an overbright light, with a ton of glare and unfocused beam. You will be blinding oncoming cars with an extreme amount of glare because the light is unfocused.

Read on below, the NHTSA has ruled that these kits are illegal as the beam blinds oncoming drivers and is unsafe.

NHTSA Press Release

NHTSA 43-04

Tuesday, October 19, 2004 Contact: Rae Tyson

Telephone: (202) 366-9550

NHTSA ILLEGAL LIGHTING CRACKDOWN CONTINUES

Continuing its crackdown against manufacturers and suppliers of illegal lighting equipment, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) today announced its decision that high intensity discharge (HID) conversion kits produced by a Texas company do not comply with federal safety standards.

The owner of ASTEX USA, a supplier of aftermarket HID kits, was ordered to conduct a recall campaign and provide a no-cost solution to the customer. The company is based in Dayton, TX. When installed in a motor vehicle, the HID kits "can be expected to produce excessive glare to oncoming motorists and others," NHTSA said in its decision.

To date, NHTSA has investigated 24 HID conversion kit suppliers; all investigations have resulted in recalls or termination of sales.

"These illegal lights are a potential hazard to those who share the road," said NHTSA Administrator Jeffrey Runge, MD. "And we will continue to pursue those offering them for sale and violating the law."

Companies that sell, import or manufacture non-compliant equipment could face substantial civil penalties, NHTSA said.

Sorry, but this looks like a waste of money to me. Not really your fault, as these companies should not be allowed to sell such products.

The reflectors in the halogen headlights are not designed to accomodate the HID light bulb. The end result is an overbright light, with a ton of glare and unfocused beam. You will be blinding oncoming cars with an extreme amount of glare because the light is unfocused.

Read on below, the NHTSA has ruled that these kits are illegal as the beam blinds oncoming drivers and is unsafe.

NHTSA Press Release

NHTSA 43-04

Tuesday, October 19, 2004 Contact: Rae Tyson

Telephone: (202) 366-9550

NHTSA ILLEGAL LIGHTING CRACKDOWN CONTINUES

Continuing its crackdown against manufacturers and suppliers of illegal lighting equipment, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) today announced its decision that high intensity discharge (HID) conversion kits produced by a Texas company do not comply with federal safety standards.

The owner of ASTEX USA, a supplier of aftermarket HID kits, was ordered to conduct a recall campaign and provide a no-cost solution to the customer. The company is based in Dayton, TX. When installed in a motor vehicle, the HID kits "can be expected to produce excessive glare to oncoming motorists and others," NHTSA said in its decision.

To date, NHTSA has investigated 24 HID conversion kit suppliers; all investigations have resulted in recalls or termination of sales.

"These illegal lights are a potential hazard to those who share the road," said NHTSA Administrator Jeffrey Runge, MD. "And we will continue to pursue those offering them for sale and violating the law."

Companies that sell, import or manufacture non-compliant equipment could face substantial civil penalties, NHTSA said.

Nah, Not really a waste of money. Atleast it improved my lighting and visability. Plus im not blinding other drivers as I live in Miami and get a :censored: load of traffic daily. Im sure im bound to run into someone who will flash at me to turn off my lights but, not one yet. I've also driven with other people who have been in front of me and everything is ok. No blinding. Conclusion.....dont believe everything you read unless you have tried it yourself. I dont mean to be rude either.

Atleast it improved my lighting and visability.

There are a lot of ricers around where I live with these illegal retrofits. They are absolutely obnoxious at best. It's a misnomer to say they are conversions because they do not convert the optics/reflectors. Maybe you can get away with it (partially) if you aim your headlights at the ground, but as noted, the halogen reflectors/optics are not designed for HID bulbs. If 100W bulbs are illegal for street use, then HIDs are equivalent to approx 150W bulbs and, worse, they are aimed/focused wrong.

• 4 weeks later...

This is very interesting, as I just purchased a conversion kit myself, and was just waiting for warm weather to install them. I nevver stopped to think about the aiming and such...... I guess I better research this some more befor I install them. Anyone want a plug and play HID kit cheap!!!! LOL

• 4 weeks later...

I would love to see a pic of the lights off your garage doors or something. I have retro-fitted hid's into 4 different cars now. Two of them were almost OEM looking with literally no glare, the other two were horible and glared like crazy. I'm interested to know how the stock headlamp assembly works with HID's in them.

I have seen a few people retro fit and they all say its fine, but I have yet to see the results on a wall to see if there is a lot of glaring.

My GTI VR6 was great, my talon glared like crazy as did my Jetta VR6, so I put projectors in the jetta and they are really good now.

btw for good HIDs check out www.cqlight.ca I bought the 5000k setup its really a beautiful sparkling blue white light, not blue blue like fake looking bulbs.

• 5 months later...

Aftermarket HID kits are illegal. That's a fact. But everybody can retrofit the headlights with xenon. Instead of using cheap japanese kits buy original (for example hella, philips, denso) ballast with (which is very important) D2R bulbs. These bulbs were made for cars like mercedes, acura etc. If you have a projector headlights like bimmer you have to use D2S bulbs.

The only problem is, that you have to make some modification in order to fit these bulbs into your old socket, plus wiring mods. This is not a plug and play. :lightbulb:

post-12603-1156595742.jpg

This is standart D2S bulb. You see clear glass.

post-12603-1156595758.jpg

This is D2R bulb for non-project headlights. On glass there is a special cover.

So a long time ago I posted about this and look I did it myself

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=10247

Who cares if it's illegal, so is speeding and we ALL do that, thats why we have Porsche's...

Think they don't look or work right? Look at the pics in my post. They are perfect on my car. The light pattern and beem is exactly the same as the halogen beem and light on the road. It's just nice HID light instead of halogen light with absolutly NO variation.

Happy Saturday morning!