Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Headlight Switch Assembly in Dash

I've had this problem before with both my 2003 986S and 2004 996TT where the headlights don't come on when I turn the knob to the proper position.  I had to replace the internal switch unit and that fixed the problem.  What I'm looking for is the Audi part number if anybody knows what it is or can point me in the right direction.  It's an Audi part but Porsche used it in these models and charge 4x the cost for the replacement.

I've included a picture as well.  I know the part cross references to an Audi / VW part number; which is what I'm looking for...  Many thanks!  I've searched Google high and low and don't know why I'm not able to find it but had run across a post years ago when I last replaced it.  I was able to find it again for my 996 TT when that one went out but can't seem to find it anymore and would rather not pay the Porsche premium price for a semi-generic part.

Porsche part number

996-613-535-00

headlight switch dash porsche carrera boxster 986 996 main.jpg

• Admin
15 hours ago, rogerjohnsen said:

I've included a picture as well.  I know the part cross references to an Audi / VW part number; which is what I'm looking for...  Many thanks!  I've searched Google high and low and don't know why I'm not able to find it but had run across a post years ago when I last replaced it.  I was able to find it again for my 996 TT when that one went out but can't seem to find it anymore and would rather not pay the Porsche premium price for a semi-generic part.

Porsche part number

996-613-535-00

headlight switch dash porsche carrera boxster 986 996 main.jpg

Sunset Porsche in Oregon has this for $50 less...   https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/oem-parts/porsche-headlamp-switch-99661353500

1 hour ago, Loren said:

Thank you - I've seen them cheaper but the identical Audi part was around $35 vs. $141.  Doubtful but maybe mine will have the Audi part number on it somewhere so I'll check that too and post it if I'm able to locate it.  It appears to be a common issue and remember the first time I had this problem - leaving the office late one night and my lights wouldn't turn on.  I've seen suggestions about adding a relay to the wire because these go bad from the "arc" created on the terminals when power applied.

Hmmmm - Audi had a recall a while back due to the part shorting out and replaced it with the newer module and a wiring harness to mate the old and new design.  This probably explains why I can't find the Audi part any longer and perhaps Porsche didn't get the memo?  I can still find the Porsche part all day long - just no Audi comparable; which makes sense to me now...

Recall Number
06V198000
Recall Date
06/05/2006
Component
ELECTRICAL SYSTEM
Summary

ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH HALOGEN LOW BEAM HEADLIGHTS, CERTAIN CONNECTOR PINS IN THE HEADLIGHT SWITCH CONNECTOR COME INTO CONTACT WITH EACH OTHER CAUSING A SHORT CIRCUIT. NOTE: VEHICLES WITH XENON LOW BEAM HEADLIGHTS ARE NOT AFFECTED BECAUSE THE CIRCUIT IN THESE VEHICLES CONTAINS A FUSE, WHICH PRECLUDES EXCESSIVE CURRENT FLOW IN THE CASE OF A SHORT CIRCUIT. AUDI S6 AND S6 AVANT VEHICLES ARE ALL EQUIPPED WITH XENON LOW BEAM HEADLIGHTS AND, THEREFORE, ARE NOT LONGER AFFECTED BY THIS RECALL.

Consequence

THIS CONDITION COULD LEAD TO OVERHEATING OR FIRE.

What Owners Should Do

DEALERS WILL REROUTE THE WIRING HARNESS BY INSTALLING A JUMPER WIRING HARNESS. THE RECALL BEGAN ON DECEMBER 16, 2006. OWNERS MAY CONTACT AUDI AT 1-800-822-2834.