Jump to content

Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

  • View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

  • No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)
slaskowski

Manual Transmisson linkage issues?

Recommended Posts

I have a 1998 Carrera Manual Transmission Cabriolet with 22K miles that I have owned for the past year.   Been a fantastic car with no issues up until yesterday.  Just took it out for a two hour highway run on Sunday morning.   As I was reversing the car into my parking spot, I heard a metallic noise (not unusually loud, as the transmission does have a mechanical sound to it - in which I do love).   

 

From that moment on, it felt as if there was no connection to the transmission (cannot feel the H pattern).   The car is stuck in Neutral and I am not able to put it into or find any gears.   I turned it off and started it - but the same problem.   The transmission feels the same with the car off as it does when it is on.   The clutch feels the same as it always has.

 

Any ideas of what I am dealing with here?

 

 

911 and Bronte.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
    You can remove these ads by becoming a Contributing Member.

1 hour ago, slaskowski said:

I have a 1998 Carrera Manual Transmission Cabriolet with 22K miles that I have owned for the past year.   Been a fantastic car with no issues up until yesterday.  Just took it out for a two hour highway run on Sunday morning.   As I was reversing the car into my parking spot, I heard a metallic noise (not unusually loud, as the transmission does have a mechanical sound to it - in which I do love).   

 

From that moment on, it felt as if there was no connection to the transmission (cannot feel the H pattern).   The car is stuck in Neutral and I am not able to put it into or find any gears.   I turned it off and started it - but the same problem.   The transmission feels the same with the car off as it does when it is on.   The clutch feels the same as it always has.

 

Any ideas of what I am dealing with here?

 

 

911 and Bronte.jpg

 

Probably one of the cable connections at the transmission have popped off.  A common problem that in many cases can be rectified by popping it back on.

 

PICT8305.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi JFP - Thanks for the reply, that makes sense based on how the transmission feels.   However, upon further investigation,  I thought that the 993s had shift rods, not cables?    It is a 1998 993 if that helps?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, slaskowski said:

Hi JFP - Thanks for the reply, that makes sense based on how the transmission feels.   However, upon further investigation,  I thought that the 993s had shift rods, not cables?    It is a 1998 993 if that helps?

 

You are correct that the 993 has rods, but they still used the snap on ball joint ends, just like the cables on the 996/997 cars, which can pop off, and they added a rubber isolator that could also come loose:

 

1__31274.1431625265.1280.1280.JPG?c=2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks JFP - A couple of quick additional questions:

 

  1. Is there a way to look under the car to see if indeed this is the problem, or do I need to pull/drop something?
  2. Is installing the new snap on ball joint a minor job or would you recommend taking to my local mechanic
  3. Is this the part that I would most likely need?
    1. WWW.PELICANPARTS.COM

      Shift Linkage - 1998 Porsche 911 Carrera Convertible

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, slaskowski said:

Thanks JFP - A couple of quick additional questions:

 

  1. Is there a way to look under the car to see if indeed this is the problem, or do I need to pull/drop something?
  2. Is installing the new snap on ball joint a minor job or would you recommend taking to my local mechanic
  3. Is this the part that I would most likely need?
    1. WWW.PELICANPARTS.COM

      Shift Linkage - 1998 Porsche 911 Carrera Convertible

 

Most likely, most of the linkage will be under the bottom body panels, but you should still be able to see it.  Usually, the ball and socket do not need to be replaced unless they have become damaged.  The components simply snap together.

 

I wouldn't be buying anything until I knew what needed to be replaced, if anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the heads up.,   I will let you know how it all turns out.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I decided to send the car to my mechanic to fix the ball & Socket issue as I live in a condo I don't have garage space to do the repairs.   

 

Thank goodness for AAA as is no cost to send the car to the mechanic via flatbed.

 

Does anyone want to hazard a guess what the mechanic bill will be?

IMG_2312.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well they had to replace the shifter rod as one end had disintegrated (hence the disconnection of the linkage), the other end was in bad shape.  Total repair was $800.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.