Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Replacement transfer case availability

2008 Cayenne S, making noise diagnosed by mechanic as needing a new transfer case based on the noise made under hard acceleration. New transfer case ordered from Porsche late 2018. When I stopped by the dealer to check on status of the order yesterday, I was told it's on indefinite backorder.  Are there any alternatives?  Does a VW Touareg or Audi Q7 transfer case work exactly the same, and are they equivalent and available?  So frustrating

• 2 years later...

To answer my own post - a while after posting, I found a local transmission shop that had the smarts to figure out the problem. The guts of my transfer case was made by Borg Warner according to the transmission shop.  I found replacement seals and belt at 

COBRATRANSMISSION.COM

Are you looking for the best NP 235 Transfer Case Kits for sale? Shop all NP 235 Transfer Case parts today at Cobra Transmission.

The noise I was hearing was due to the belt stretching out over the years, and hitting the inside of the transfer case housing under load. Here are a couple of pictures of the inside.  In the almost 2 years since I had the transfer case rebuilt it's been problem free

IMG_20190723_133841.jpg

IMG_20190723_133853.jpg

IMG_20190723_133856.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Geoff, I've got 105k on my '06 CTTS and I'm thinking I might as well just keep it for the long run. I know some things will pop up over the next few years and I've heard of a few with stretched chains, and the Turbos have the same chains as the V6's with over twice the Torque.

• Upvote 1