Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Drivers' side Xenon headlight stopped working a while back, and both high beams were working along with the turn signals. 06 Cayenne S.

Couldn't find a cause for drivers' side headlight Xenon beam not working, despite testing a new light, and Dealer said it was the Module. Waited 3 weeks for a new module to come from the Fatherland and get the car back home, and see they've set the headlights to be always-on anytime the car is running, and then found out that the high beams on both sides are not working at all now.

Dealer thinks that some aging wires with crumbling insulation in the passenger headlight shorting are the cause and recommends a new passenger side light, as he doesn't think they make replacement wires to go in there. 

Now I need a crash course in how the high beam signals ground through both lights, because I don't understand how they worked when I pulled the car in 3 weeks ago and now don't.

Edited by Charles Bradley

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently the wiring harness for the vehicle now has problems. Everything worked when I dropped it off except the Xenon headlamp.

They swapped the modules and ballasts and determined the module was a culprit. Replaced module with a 3.5 week wait.

After putting in a new module, the high beams on both sides stopped working. Eventually found that "someone" put in a 30A fuse where there should've been a 20A fuse, and flipping on the high beams fried the wire. Wired directly, bypassing the fuse and now the high beams work. 🤨

When he pulled it out today for me to pick up, the wipers aren't working anymore. Same deal, had to wire directly bypassing the wiper fuse. 🤨

Time to sell this pig.

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, Charles Bradley said:

Apparently the wiring harness for the vehicle now has problems. Everything worked when I dropped it off except the Xenon headlamp.

They swapped the modules and ballasts and determined the module was a culprit. Replaced module with a 3.5 week wait.

After putting in a new module, the high beams on both sides stopped working. Eventually found that "someone" put in a 30A fuse where there should've been a 20A fuse, and flipping on the high beams fried the wire. Wired directly, bypassing the fuse and now the high beams work. 🤨

When he pulled it out today for me to pick up, the wipers aren't working anymore. Same deal, had to wire directly bypassing the wiper fuse. 🤨

Time to sell this pig.

Bypassing a fuse and direct wiring high amp circuits is an invitation to burning the vehicle to the ground.  You have wiring issues, which can be fixed, but going this route is asking from problems, and will impact either your ability to sell it or file an insurance claim should it burn.