Jump to content

Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

  • View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

  • No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Recommended Posts

Hi Guys, I’m about to change the head gaskets on my m97.1 3.8l engine and just want to ask if the head bolts need to be replaced or if I can reuse? The Porsche workshop manual just states the tightening torque and sequence but not if the heads should be renewed. Any one help?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
    You can remove these ads by becoming a Contributing Member.

5 hours ago, Murv said:

Hi Guys, I’m about to change the head gaskets on my m97.1 3.8l engine and just want to ask if the head bolts need to be replaced or if I can reuse? The Porsche workshop manual just states the tightening torque and sequence but not if the heads should be renewed. Any one help?

 

Replace them.  And out of curiosity, exactly why are you replacing the head gaskets??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2019 at 5:22 PM, JFP in PA said:

 

Replace them.  And out of curiosity, exactly why are you replacing the head gaskets??

Thanks, I’ll get them from Porsche pretty expensive mind!

i bought the car from someone who had new liners install and had the head and block skimmed I suspect to much material has been removed and the light tick is piston to head contact. In total 0.015” has been removed more than double the max Porsche state in the workshop manual. I’ve ordered 0.045” gaskets from Cometic to give me back the clearance 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Murv said:

Thanks, I’ll get them from Porsche pretty expensive mind!

i bought the car from someone who had new liners install and had the head and block skimmed I suspect to much material has been removed and the light tick is piston to head contact. In total 0.015” has been removed more than double the max Porsche state in the workshop manual. I’ve ordered 0.045” gaskets from Cometic to give me back the clearance 

 

I'd get the ARP bolts, they are better made.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.