Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Camshaft position sensor

• Moderators
1 hour ago, leonard summerhill said:

My 1999 Boxster shut off at stoplight ,after turning ignition key no starter sound.seconds later weak starter sounds and no engine firing. I towed car home replaced front camshaft position sensor but engine turns over but will not start

What possessed you to replace the cam position sensor?  Have you scanned the card for codes?

• Moderators
18 hours ago, leonard summerhill said:

The code that I found was P0341

This is a good example of understanding what a code is telling you.  P0341 is for an implausible signal from the cam position sensor, and is most commonly a short or wiring problem rather than a bad position sensor.  The diagnostic steps for this code are all wiring harness circuit tests looking at voltages and circuit resistances. Rarely is it caused by the sensor itself.

• 3 months later...

Different problem. '97 986 Boxster, 146,000 miles. Throwing a P1531 Code. Which is indicative of Variable Cam Adjustment Solenoid or Actuator, Bank 1 Cylinders 1-3. That's the ONLY mechanical code it's showing, no others. From reading the Variocam information I should have Idle or hesitation issues below 1,300 rpm or above some high rev rpm  I'll never see.  Any issues mentioned in my reading aren't present. I'm using an iCarSoft CRPro 2 Test unit and have a couple Volt/Ohm Meters & Leads. The '97 DME/ECU doesn't give out much information, if any on most systems. Car runs smooth, starts quickly, Idles as specified @850,  accelerates smoothly and quickly in exact response to throttle input, decelerates the same, even when down shifting.  By all outward appearances the Variocam Solenoid and Actuator are operating as they should. Thoughts on potential causes for the code short of the Actuator or Solenoid. I know what's involved in replacing them and the cost. Both are painful in more ways than one and I'd love to avoid that project if possible as would my checkbook. Could it be a Cam Position Sensor, Bad Terminal Connection, Bad Ground? A link to a trouble shooting procedure or what to look for & where would be appreciated. I need this thing to pass Ohio E-Check before June 20th.

Thank You.

• Moderators
7 hours ago, JPSummers said:

Different problem. '97 986 Boxster, 146,000 miles. Throwing a P1531 Code. Which is indicative of Variable Cam Adjustment Solenoid or Actuator, Bank 1 Cylinders 1-3. That's the ONLY mechanical code it's showing, no others. From reading the Variocam information I should have Idle or hesitation issues below 1,300 rpm or above some high rev rpm  I'll never see.  Any issues mentioned in my reading aren't present. I'm using an iCarSoft CRPro 2 Test unit and have a couple Volt/Ohm Meters & Leads. The '97 DME/ECU doesn't give out much information, if any on most systems. Car runs smooth, starts quickly, Idles as specified @850,  accelerates smoothly and quickly in exact response to throttle input, decelerates the same, even when down shifting.  By all outward appearances the Variocam Solenoid and Actuator are operating as they should. Thoughts on potential causes for the code short of the Actuator or Solenoid. I know what's involved in replacing them and the cost. Both are painful in more ways than one and I'd love to avoid that project if possible as would my checkbook. Could it be a Cam Position Sensor, Bad Terminal Connection, Bad Ground? A link to a trouble shooting procedure or what to look for & where would be appreciated. I need this thing to pass Ohio E-Check before June 20th.

Thank You.

P1531 is the code for "no active position" on the VarioCam actuator on bank 1, with three possible faults:

1. Open circuit (wiring issue)
  2. Open circuit on power supply wire
  3. Defective actuator

Diagnostics are to test the B+ actuator power supply wire for power; then check entire actuator harness for continuity.  If both are OK, replace the actuator.

If you had access to a Porsche specific scan tool such as the Durametric system, you would be able to test actuate the unit with the car running and see if the cam positions change, but I don't think the unit you have is capable of doing that.

JFP Thank You. That helps a lot for diagnosis. Your advice verified my line of testing prior to shelling out a lot of $$$ for pieces parts. Actuator replacement on the early models looks like a PITA. Especially with the engine in the vehicle. Tight spaces and no room for error on reassembly.  Had the car out for Test Drive today. @ 40 miles, some back roads, some city, some highway. Highest rev was 5k. Car ran smooth and flawless. Just the CEL driving me nuts. I hate, hate, hate persistent CEL's. I wish there was a way to Store codes and not have it illuminate again until a new code is detected.

I'll post an update when I get around to testing. Then my solution when it's done. Thank You! Stay Well.

• 9 months later...

Finally, a warm day in Ohio. I hooked up the Durametric. Still P1531 Code. Cams were showing 9 on bank 1, 0 on bank 2. Bank 1 adjusted as necessary with increased & decreased RPM. Bank 2 remained at 0.  Next warm series of days, I'll be able to do voltage and resistance tests on the solenoid and harness.