Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2004 CTT Can't pass NYS emissions, Need Station to Write Waiver

Hi All,

Anyone know of a NYS inspection station around Long Island willing to write a DMV Waiver? My 2004 955 CTT will NOT pass (have OBD scanner, CEL turns on before all monitors are even ready!). Moving onto the city in six months, and I will likely sell her then; unable to do major repairs, but I need to be on the road for the time being. Very frustrating.

I’ve been to a couple of my local stations, and they absolutely refuse to issue a waiver, claiming they’ll be audited asap if they do. I’m not asking for anything illegal, and I’m willing to pay the $450 or so to attempt some work as required to satisfy NYS. Help, anyone?

Inspection expires end of this month (Feb ’20), so ANY suggestions sincerely appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Jeff

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, k2kv said:

Hi All,

Anyone know of a NYS inspection station around Long Island willing to write a DMV Waiver? My 2004 955 CTT will NOT pass (have OBD scanner, CEL turns on before all monitors are even ready!). Moving onto the city in six months, and I will likely sell her then; unable to do major repairs, but I need to be on the road for the time being. Very frustrating.

I’ve been to a couple of my local stations, and they absolutely refuse to issue a waiver, claiming they’ll be audited asap if they do. I’m not asking for anything illegal, and I’m willing to pay the $450 or so to attempt some work as required to satisfy NYS. Help, anyone?

Inspection expires end of this month (Feb ’20), so ANY suggestions sincerely appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Jeff

Welcome to RennTech :welcomeani:

Why not find out why you are getting the MIL lamp and fix it?  What code(s) are you getting?  It may not even cost the $450...………..

Hi JFP,

A nearby shop found these codes: 507, 2187 (x2), P0011 and a turbocharger overboost (don't have the code handy). I’ve since installed my own OBD scanner (today) and have so far gotten 2187 (2x) and P0011 (pending), but the CEL is already lit up even before all monitors have had enough time to reset as "emission ready," so I have NO "window of opportunity." 

Had other repair work performed in the last couple of months when mechanic advised of multiple vacuum leaks -- would have to pull intake manifold, looking at lots of work to be done. I'm simply not financially able to proceed with all that at this time (contrary to what I've done in the past), and likely selling once I move, so just trying to get through the year.

Thanks,
Jeff

Edited by k2kv
Clarification

• Moderators

P2187 Oxygen Sensing Adaptation, Idle Range, Bank 1 (RKAT1) - Above Limit

Possible fault cause

- Incorrect main charge signal

- Intake air system leaking

- Fuel pressure too low

- Volume supply of fuel pump too low

- Mechanical fault in injection valves

- PCV valve leaks

- Cap of oil filler neck leaking

- Leaks in exhaust system

- EVAP canister purge valve mechanically faulty (hangs open)

- EVAP canister purge valve output stage faults

P0011 - Adjustment of Inlet Camshaft in relation to Crankshaft, Bank 1 – Signal Implausible

• Incorrect camshaft timing
  • Wiring problems (harness/wiring) in intake timing control valve control solenoid system
  • Continuous oil flow to VarioCam piston chamber
  • Failed timing valve control solenoid (stuck open)
  • Failing cam position sensor

There is no way they are going to let this slide and risk their license.  Most likely, the 2187 is caused by the 0011 fault.  That is not a "vacuum leak" issue, it is a mechanical or electrical fault with the variable cam timing control on bank 1.

No, of course not. But I'm not looking for anyone to let things slide.

Rather, I'm simply looking for an honest inspection station that will fail me, perform some actual related work (to a $ limit) and then fail me again if necessary, in order to issue a perfectly legal DMV waiver.

Appreciate all the info you've provided...

Jeff

• Moderators
3 hours ago, k2kv said:

No, of course not. But I'm not looking for anyone to let things slide.

Rather, I'm simply looking for an honest inspection station that will fail me, perform some actual related work (to a $ limit) and then fail me again if necessary, in order to issue a perfectly legal DMV waiver.

Appreciate all the info you've provided...

Jeff

Just be sure you understand the complete rules on waivers.  In PA, the published repair waiver cost threshold is $150.  That said, the actual rules are a lot more complicated as only emissions devices  (EVAP, PCV, catalytic converters, etc.) equipment (no labor) are covered; fails caused by cam timing devices are not part of the waivers program and would not be considered applicable.  The shop doing the inspection has to put their butts on the line by stating what is causing the failure(s) and the testing equipment has to transmit confirming data to the state system via a direct data link or the waiver fails.  The shop also has to certify that there are no non factory modifications to the vehicle, and that all the covered systems are OEM and not aftermarket.  That opens a can of worms as the state auditor can require you to show them the vehicle involved.  If they don’t agree with the shop’s assessments, they can pull your certification on the spot.  Net result is that very few repair cost waivers ever get issued, for obvious reasons. 

Yes, I do understand, it's pretty much the same here in NY, but with a $450 threshold.

Thinking I might just be better off finding a reliable local shop willing to perform just the work necessary to clean up the codes.

Thanks again,

Jeff