Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Replacing Boxster Window/Roof Seal

Good morning, I have a 2011 Boxster and the esal above the drivers window is work, curious as to whether anyone has any insights on how easy it would be to get and replace these pieces? I feel sure enough people have worked on the roof to know, particularly how much disassembly would be necessary to replace these pieces. Pictures attached to illustrate the issue, it's the rubbery/foamy pieces that meet as the roof comes up.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Chris. 

IMG-4083_854x480.jpg

IMG-4085_854x480.jpg

IMG-4086_854x480.jpg

It appears the seal is held in place by a T shaped section that fits into a groove in the top frame. Can the seal be worked back in place?  I'm sure replacements can be purchased.. it appears that your seals have experienced some significant wear.

13 hours ago, deilenberger said:

It appears the seal is held in place by a T shaped section that fits into a groove in the top frame. Can the seal be worked back in place?  I'm sure replacements can be purchased.. it appears that your seals have experienced some significant wear.

My best guess (from before I owned the car) is that it came loose and was never put back, resulting in the wear as the pieces rub against each other. To some degree it does slot into a groove but not tightly enough to stay there, my suspicion is that either the part that slots in is work or there was some adhesive used (tape or glue) to secure it. It looks and feels as if a good tug would pull it out, I'm just hesitant to do so if I can get some opinion first 🙂

Steps 3 & 4 here look to confirm the removal process for the top piece, seems there is a screw that holds the front of it and the rest is attached with double sided tape 

WWW.PELICANPARTS.COM

Yikes! Replacing your convertible top is one of the most difficult tasks around, and is not for the faint of heart. Jared and Wayne teamed up to provide detailed instructions for the Boxster show how to upgrade to the newer style glass window roofs.

Not so sure yet on the other piece, that doesn't seem to be a featured part in the hood replacement process from what I'm reading so far including videos on YouTube.

14 hours ago, Richard Hamilton said:

...I'm intrigued by the vehicle in the background......

Oh that, that would be my 7 🙂

It's good to be back for sure, kind of bemused that my *issues* always seem to be a little too unique! From what I have gathered I have to remove the front rail from the inside of the top to get the top seal off, the other one is more involved, no instructions to be found but it looks like to replace it you have to buy the full three piece assembly. I think the main issue is it being loose so I might just tape it in for now and see how things go.

IMG_3102_Original.jpg