Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

the other day the dash oil indicator was at the low indicator bar.  Checked when engine was cold before journey.  I added some oil and checked again.  No movement in indicator.  added a little more.  no movement after checking a 2nd time.  Added the rest for a total of 1/2 quart added.  Check a 3rd time (engine still cold & was not started) and the bar moved from low to 1 bar above low.  So I was not worried about overfilled as the difference between the min and max is ~ 1.2L according to manual.

However, the next day I checked the oil again, again a cold engine, and the level was at the max mark.  I then warmed up the engine to operating temp, etc. and checked the oil pressure according to p. 96 in the manual which states pressure to be aprox 3.5 bar at 5,000 rpm.  Mine gets to 4 bar at about 3,000 rpm.

questions:

Is what the manual states ~ 3.5 bar at 5,000rpm an accurate indicator?  I mentioned it to the shop this am and they said don't worry.  If so, why is mine so different from what the book reads?

When adding oil is it recommended to start the engine so its warm before adding? Wait & check & start & wait after each time oil is added?  If I remember correctly each of times ive ever had to add & check the oil, the engine was cold......

Tks

• Moderators

Oil level sensors in these cars are rarely very responsive, sometimes when you add oil nothing seems to happen for some time, then it suddenly changes.

I wouldn't worry very much about the oil pressure, there are too many variables (oil weight, oil temperature, variations in the display itself, etc.) for it to be perfectly accurate; and in your case the pressure is higher than the manual, which is fine.

thanks Jeff. when adding oil is is best to start the engine and then stop and let settle and check?  Best (more accurate) to do all this on a warm engine vs cold?

• Moderators

I always like to check the oil level stone cold; if it needs just a bit, I add some, and then leave it alone until it has been run and completely cooled down again.  I also never fill these cars to the max level, I always like to leave them a bit down, maybe half a quart. Over the years, we noticed fewer smokey starts and AOS issues when the oil level is slightly low.

• Upvote 1

When picking up my car from the dealer the other day they gave me a print out of the testing for the oil pressure.  I thought it was interesting the difference between the owner's manual and what they gave me.  I cant imagine that it makes a difference in the readings as to whether the car is under load or at idle....  Anyhow, for comparison.  The shop did the Bar to psi conversions

Owners's Manual

6106639_oilpressureownermanual.thumb.png.2228494801f363b252a9fab15bb53331.png

Shop info

2006 Shop Manual oil info_20210529_0001.pdf