Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Anyone do the sport exhaust hack on 997?

I know there are instructions somewhere on renntech for the hack that alters the control module for the 996 Porsche Sport Exhaust to disable the cutoff between roughly 50-80 km (for Euro noise standards, makes the PSE quiet between these speeds). Has anyone done this to a 997? Doubt its the same setup as 996 since the 997 is wired into the sport chrono option (which I have).

I'm installing it tomorrow and probably won't do the electronics part of the install (for now), but may do it at some point - but would not want that cutoff operational if I do.

If you install mufflers only, the default mode is always ON PSE.

If you install electronics and vacuum system, including change-over valve, PSE always ON is achieved by removing the vacuum line from the vacuum supply to the valve. On RennTeam.com 997 forum there is a thread that has photos showing which line this is.

Thanks, DD694. I understand your points, but with the full install (electronics and vacuum), when you want PSE on, it still goes off between roughly 30-50mph or 50-80kph. With the 996, you can disable this by cutting a capacitor in the control module (which cuts off the speed signal to the control module) (see great writeup on this site). Because the 997 PSE is wired to the sport chrono system, I'm not sure it works the same as 996.

On the 997 the PSE is controlled by the DME. Personally, I would not want to snip anything in there.

I know of no way to allow for separate operation of the PSE either full-time OFF or full-time ON separate from the Sport Chrono and its designed OFF between 30 to 50 MPH. Removing the vacuum line at the change-over valve does provide full-time PSE ON. Restoring this vacuum line to the change-over valve returns you to the Sport Chrono operation of the PSE.

I think the legal requirement for Europe is the driving force behind the imposed quiet period from 30 - 50 MPH. Porsche does not want to be in the position of providing a means to subvert this legal requirement.

Installed PSE today - ON all the time! The kit did not include a control module and obviously its all controlled by the DME now, so it seems very unlikely there is any shortcut hack to solve the 30-50mph cutoff problem.

I had Fabspeed mufflers on for a week - not my style - but I absolutely love the PSE!

Installed PSE today - ON all the time! The kit did not include a control module and obviously its all controlled by the DME now, so it seems very unlikely there is any shortcut hack to solve the 30-50mph cutoff problem.

I had Fabspeed mufflers on for a week - not my style - but I absolutely love the PSE!

Congratulations! It really does add to the enjoyment of the car. Driving is even more fun than ever. This is especially true through the otherwise quiet zone of 30 - 50 MPH.

jcnesq... I too had the Fabspeed mufflers, I removed them after 1 day, not my style either. Could you give me your impression of the PSE sound? is it similar to the PSE on the 996? I want to install this, but I have not had the chance to hear it, so I would like some opinions please. Thanks

jnx - I would say the PSE on my 997S is very similar to 996 PSE (which I had), but maybe even better! Deep, growly, rumbly sound, pretty loud, but manageable when needed. Otherwise hard to describe, but for me I am absolutely grinning from ear to ear with it!!! If you heard 996 PSE and liked it, then just get the PSE, its even better!

jnx - I would say the PSE on my 997S is very similar to 996 PSE (which I had), but maybe even better! Deep, growly, rumbly sound, pretty loud, but manageable when needed. Otherwise hard to describe, but for me I am absolutely grinning from ear to ear with it!!! If you heard 996 PSE and liked it, then just get the PSE, its even better!

Thanks Man, That is what I wanted to know.

• 5 months later...
I know there are instructions somewhere on renntech for the hack that alters the control module for the 996 Porsche Sport Exhaust to disable the cutoff between roughly 50-80 km (for Euro noise standards, makes the PSE quiet between these speeds). Has anyone done this to a 997? Doubt its the same setup as 996 since the 997 is wired into the sport chrono option (which I have).

I'm installing it tomorrow and probably won't do the electronics part of the install (for now), but may do it at some point - but would not want that cutoff operational if I do.

I don't have the sport chrono option but I do have the PSE. My dealer wired it so the mufflers are closed all the time and I push the twin pipes icon and it opens the mufflers and the LED illuminates. It comes in especially handy because I have Suncoast Motorsports headers and with the mufflers open it sounds like an old 12 cylinder Ferrari, but I push the button and I can pull into my neighborhood which has an snooty home owners association and they don't like noise.

Reading up on all your entries about PSE is pushing me VERY close to ordering it for my C2S for when it comes out of storage in the spring!

I do have a few questions that I hope you guys can help with...

How long should the installation take for a car with Sport Chrono?

Having Sport Chrono means my "Sport" button controls it, right?

I noticed the tips are different sizes, large on the outside and smaller on the inside... How do the sized relate to the stock Carrera S tips? Would the smaller ones on the PSE be the same diameter as the stock?

...and finally, having never heard a PSE equipped 911, are you all happy with it?

Thanks!