Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Looking for suggestions - 2 week old car side swiped....

Body shop repair or skip??  

3 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So 2 week old car got side swiped !!  Not bad as there are no dents, maybe a tiny ripple, but not worried about that.  Parking lot hit and run.  The bigger issue to me is whether or not to have the paint re-done professionally? Or at all?  Guessing it will eventually get worse - especially if using carwashes.

The shops around here are awful and im not in the mood to have the body shop remove the fender and messing with the cameras / sensors.  And I really am not in the mood to have to potentially have them re-calibrated.  The shop said the paint job would take a week.

Thoughts?

Is it possible to find a good kit to attempt some touch up myself?  If so can anyone recommend a product you've used?

Tks much - what a bummer.  BUT, could be worse!!

IMG_1642.jpg

Edited by Loren
Made images viewable here

This is what insurance is for.  I would have a Porsche certified body shop fix it.

You won't be able to touch it up by yourself and having a 3rd party shop do it is more risky for several reasons.  The sensors may need to be recalibrated if your bumper moved at all.  For example my Audi Q5 has lane change assist and there are radar sensors all over the car that are calibrated.  If they move because the bumper has moved or been hit, even by a very small amount (I forget the amount it's like 7 degrees), it can cause the system to become inoperable.

Paint job for that is typical to take a week.

Will the paint peel - continue to get worse you think?

Dealer said no because  it’s a plastic bumper. 

Im reluctant only because last time we had work done by Audi shop for the A6, the lane assist was never the same after being calibrated. And every time we tried to get the dealer to fix it they said the warning messages were “normal” even though the car had never acted that way before the recalibration.  On straight aways and driving on highway next to stretches with jersey barriers, after the work, the car would always say something like driver take over or similar.   

The shops down here are awful. And so far the Porsche one has not called back.  But it’s only been 3 days. 

All shops are very busy right now.  My indy is scheduling work 6+ weeks out.

The warning messages aren't normal.  Do you use VCDS?  You can check the lane assist faults but your dynamic angle offsets are too large.  There is a static offset which is the initial position at calibration and then dynamic offsets from that -- the dynamic offsets have a tolerance that is somewhere around 7 degrees.

For example this -7.51 tripped a fault:

image.png.bc792a11860111592d6283dc6157e905.png

And looked like this after the dealer recalibrated (2 hours labor, insurance paid for it):

image.png.6bfabe1797bf4347b30b3d193e5be6fa.png

The dynamic angles will change as the car's computer samples them periodically.  My lane assist would intermittently work as that dynamic angle was close to the 7 degrees trigger and would sort of bounce around near that 7 degrees, sometimes over, sometimes under.  You have to force them to recalibrate it after an accident.  My wife had a minor accident a year or two ago and when I picked up the car and used VCDS I saw that they had not recalibrated the angle offset back to 0 (and went back in told them and left the car there for another day for them to do it like they should have without me having to check).  This is probably similar to what happened in your case.

Edited by Silver_TT

From the looks of it I don't think the paint will peel or worsen in the near future....... maybe if you don't get it fixed eventually it would but I don't think that's going to get materially worse on its own anytime soon.  Once they do the repair they can make that look like it never happened.

Whoever you have do the repair, it never hurts to explicitly ask/tell them to recalibrate the sensors back to 0 deviation.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2023 at 6:39 AM, Silver_TT said:

From the looks of it I don't think the paint will peel or worsen in the near future....... maybe if you don't get it fixed eventually it would but I don't think that's going to get materially worse on its own anytime soon.  Once they do the repair they can make that look like it never happened.

Whoever you have do the repair, it never hurts to explicitly ask/tell them to recalibrate the sensors back to 0 deviation.

Going for my 3rd estimate today. 1st was about 900.00. 2nd about $2000.00 and neither include the 800-900$ camera recalibration. Have to take it back to the dealer for that. 

C50E5038-6A8A-4346-BF6F-C4DA03BE7DEB.jpeg

Edited by WTL
Typo

That's a big difference between the first two estimates -- likely they are not apples to apples.  And, ya, it is normal for the collision department to send the car to the dealer for the recalibration.  That price sounds about right since dealer rates have gone up and it's likely a 2+ hour procedure to perform the calibration.