Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Full Brake job 986 My97 2.5L

Good day to all. I am going to perform a brake job on my car. I want to make sure i have the correct PN and tools for this job. My car a 1997 986. One thing I want to upgrade is the steel cables for the brake lines (any special recomendations?).

Hre is what I have come up as a list:

rotors (zimmerman?)

pads

cables

fuild (blue?)

Please advise if there is another post that considers this as I have searched the renntech.org and have not found one.

Alberto

I'm about to embark on this same project myself, though I'm painting my calipers also. You will need rotors (I bought mine from paragon-products.com), pads (I presently have relatively new set of Pagid Blues that I bought from Paragon last year - they are good street/occassional track pads. If you don't track much or don't want to spend a lot money, stick with OEM pads), stainless brake lines (which is what I'm assuming you're talking about), and brake fluid (I recommend ATE Blue or Gold).

As for tools, you need a 19mm socket to get the lug bolts off, a hex socket to take the caliper bolts off (I don't know what size - either 8mm or 10mm, I think - I just have a set of hex sockets), a flare wrench to remove the brake line (sorry, I don't know what size), and a screwdriver to get the rotor screws off (you may need an impact screwdriver to get the screws off, though).

Check out this site - it outlines the whole procedure: http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/proje.../change_rotors/

• Moderators

Sounds like a project for a work on cars day.

Zimmermann rotors are fine if you paint the hats. There is a place in Santa Clara that sells aftermarket pads that work fine for about $45 a set. There are some good deals on ebay that have a kit with rotors, pads, and sensors. You can even find Zimmermann with the holes for the base 986.

The ATE amber and blue have the same specs. I never liked the dye, but that is me. We have used the blue in many local cars because that is what the owners show up with.

There is always a debate about s/s brake lines on a street car and the type of fittings (DOT) approved or not, but I will leave that to others.

post-4-1121470713_thumb.jpg

post-4-1121471274_thumb.jpg

Scherb,

I had mine done last year. I used Zimmerman for rotors and Textar for pads. The only thing that I regret is not to order the "drilled hole" rotors. They looks great and will be my next rotors when the time comes.

You might want to order the "drill holes" rotors :D

-Nat

Thanks everyone. I will keep you posted. I had heard about the bombaydigital page now I dont have to look for it. :D

The reason for doing the brake job is in preparation for a day on the track on August 7th at Infineon (if anyone is interested http://www.nasaproracing.com/) :drive: I think I will have to do this soon after the track day...

TP what is the painting of the hat comment about? looks? or protection? :help: Thanks!

About drilled.. I will come out clean...it will be a poser move, but what can I say... It does look better. B)

Edited by scherb

• Moderators

If you look at a new car the rotors have a gray paint/coating for rust.

Speed bleeders are ok. You can bleed the brakes by yourself, as you can with the Motive, but the Motive is one more thing to carry around if you are going to be a track junkie.

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

Imagine a rotor lying on the ground flat side down. The part that is sticking up is the bit that goes over the hub and called the "hat".

As a point of reference, the last set of Porsche OEM rotors I purchased (shipped in an actual Porsche box) did not have the hats painted with the cadmium anti corrosion coating.

Graeme

• 3 weeks later...

tool pants.

could you please tell me which store in santa clara were you able to get the aftermarket ($49.00) brake pads? were they mintex pads? do they have both front and rear pads? thanks and your response is greatly appreciated.....

pbox986