Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

removal of rear caliper and rotor

I will be replacing the rear wheel bearing this weekend and part of this job is the removal of the rear caliper and rotor. Are there any surprises, specialized tools, secret German chants, or is this a normal caliper/rotor removal.

Any information will be appreciated.

Zok

Removing the rear caliper is very straightforward. Just make sure to release the hand brake to free up the e-brake shoes and allow you to remove the rotor.

If you have not already seen it, check out this link for lots of info on Boxster brake work: Trygve's Boxster Brakes page

I replaced a front bearing with the help of a friend recently. There are definitely some specialized tools required to pop the ball joints, press out the hub/bearing and pull one of the bearing races off the hub. With the right tools, the job should go pretty smoothly.

Please take pictures and let us know how it goes. Are you planning to do an alignment after (there has been some debate as to whether or not you have to do this)? Do you have a tool for pressing the bearing out? What tool?

I will not be able to take pics of the repair, digital camera sent in for warranty repair. I will be using the Sir Tools B-90P with the additional pieces as spec'd. The instructions included with the tools are sort of clear. Completing this repair successfully will be cause for much joy, compared to the wailing and gnashing of teeth if this puppy goes south.

Details on Monday.

Zok

Assuming the hand brake is released, do you have to loosen the screw on the rotor that adjusts the brake shoes?

I'm about to change rotors myself, and the method outlined in the Tech Manual says you have to loosen the adjustment screw, then when you're putting it back on, you have to tighten, then loosen it 5-6 notches.

I didn't need to loosen the adjustment screw. However, that may have been because my handbrake was not very tight. I say give it a try and loosen the adjuster if you have trouble removing the rotor.

Assuming the hand brake is released, do you have to loosen the screw on the rotor that adjusts the brake shoes?

I'm about to change rotors myself, and the method outlined in the Tech Manual says you have to loosen the adjustment screw, then when you're putting it back on, you have to tighten, then loosen it 5-6 notches.

Please take pictures and let us know how it goes.  Are you planning to do an alignment after (there has been some debate as to whether or not you have to do this)?  Do you have a tool for pressing the bearing out?  What tool?

:cursing: I am in the middle of this job and I am stuck big time. Having a ***** of a time getting the wheel carrier off the control arm. I have been looking at this thing and all of the instructions for the past 5 hours and I'm no further along than I was when I started looking. :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:

If you have any info on getting wheel carrier loose from the control arm, please send in my way.

Zok

I have finished the job and it was definitely a bear. :censored: The suggested time to complete this project was 3.5 - 5 hours. I think it took me about 15 hours total. Of course, 8 or more hours were spent disassembling and then re- assembling sub assemblies that didn't need to be messed with and running back and forth to the neighborhood AutoZone. By the way, AutoZone's "borrow a tool" program saved me about $75.

By the time the dust settled over the Shady Bend Porsche Repair Shop (my garage), the bearing has been replaced, I understand how the rear suspension of the Boxster works and I have about $650 in my pocket that would have been in the local dealers's pocket. After the wailing and gnashing, I guess it was worth it. If another bearing goes out in the next few months, I know it will have been worth the trouble.

Zok