Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Help finding nav module on 2004 996 C4S

Can Anybody help me locate the nav module on a 2004 996 C4S cab with PCM2?

The part number is 99664220502, but it's not shown on any of the parts diagrams. E.g it's listed on page 579 here but not shown on the diagram: https://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/originalparts/en/E_996_KATALOG.pdf

Suspect it's responsible for a car-off current draw on my battery so want to pull it and confirm.

Thanks!

Edited by Dan964
More details (cab).

Many thanks Loren. So they'll only sell these if you send in the defective unit as a swap?

The issue I have is locating the unit in the car. Do you know where it is?

Semi-related - I found another thread with the same issue (nav error on PCM, parasitic draw), but the solution proposed (148 reset etc) isn't working.

8 minutes ago, Loren said:

Big screen - center of the dash. Item 2 in this illustration.

2023-04-25_08-02-53.png

Apologies if I am being somewhat dim on this, but do you mean it's mounted/fixed inside the PCM2 unit itself, or on the rear of?

The various places I can find the original (non-X/exchange) version it looks like a small silver module with what looks like the antenna cable input and a data/power plug that's an option addition to the PCM2 unit (see links below). I just want to confirm it's in or behind the PCM2 before I start to pull the unit out of the dash in case it's mounted somewhere else (like the telephone module that's under the seat).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285076870807?hash=item425fe7d697:g:I5AAAOSwzFhjmxfy

https://teile.com/en/porsche-parts-shop/model-911-996/1/lighting-electrical-parts/911-radio-amplifier-navigation-loudspeakers/62/911-00-radio-booster-cd-changer/module-navigation-system-pcm2/34986

For anyone else wondering, the module above is slotted in to the rear of the PCM2. After you remove the black cover, it just pulls out.

Photos attached showing location.

Next job is to test with it out to see if the error "system error - navigation unavailable" and/or the accompanied the battery drain goes away. 🤞

IMG-9988.jpg

IMG-9991.jpg

IMG-9995.jpg

Just to close the loops, removing this module removed the drain of around 300mA, so the car now pulls a normal 30mA when off.

I get the same error "system error navigation not available", with it out and in, but at least the battery isn't draining in a couple of days.

It's not worth it to me to replace at quoted prices (new or used) unless a "for spares" PCM comes up at a reasonable price that I can extract the module from.