Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I think my engine is cooked - well done.

2001 Boxster S manual with ~136k miles. Previous owner claimed to have replaced the IMS bearing...

Been hearing a knocking/tapping sound that I was hoping was a noisy lifter. The car has been driving fine with no noticeable issues.

So I poked around trying to find where the sound is coming from and it appears to be the passenger side.

I checked the spark plugs for tightness, and they all seem tight with no signs of leaking gasses.

I drained the oil today and found sparkles, so I'm guessing it's likely a rod bearing causing the knock? :mad:

The oil (if I remember) was Pentosin High Performance II synthetic 5w-40 and was changed ~2k miles ago tops.

Aren't the 3.2L engines not generally known for cylinder scoring?

Pics with video.

The oil shown came out of the oil filter - the car has an adapter to use a standard spin on filter versus the cartridge type.

Any expert opinions out there..?

wat do next?

Thanks

Video

PHOTOS.APP.GOO.GL

New item · Album by Scott Seward

Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 9.11.48 PM.jpg

IMG_6223.jpeg

IMG_6228.jpeg

Edited by sadseattleboxster

• Moderators

Rather than see the oil, I would like to see the sediment at the bottom; if it is metallic and ferrous (picked up by a magnet), you have a serious problem.  Another place to look is to drain the engine oil and then pull the sump cover as it would collect such debris.

• Upvote 1

To be clear, you recommend removing the whole pan or only the bottom plate..?

From what I understand (which is minimal) the oil pan/sump is 2 (or more?) pieces. The deep metal pan has a flat floor plate and they can be separated...?

Maybe I'm wrong there

Edited by sadseattleboxster

• Moderators
3 hours ago, sadseattleboxster said:

To be clear, you recommend removing the whole pan or only the bottom plate..?

From what I understand (which is minimal) the oil pan/sump is 2 (or more?) pieces. The deep metal pan has a flat floor plate and they can be separated...?

Maybe I'm wrong there

spacer.png

The sump cover is a relatively flat plate held in place by bolts around its parimeter.......................

• Moderators

There isn't the kind of debris I would expect from a serious failure, but that rather large ferrous item bothers me, from your photos I cannot say what it might be, but I can say it should not be there................