Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

996 surround for 996 gauges on 986

I bought a 996 surround (used) to use with my TT gauge cluster on my 02 986. It must be a 99 or 2000, because the Emergency switch is different.

What is my best course of action? Should I just buy the emergency switch for a 99, or is the plug for the switch different?

thanks

Edited by Dale Zelinksy

• Moderators

996 instrument cluster surround does not work with a Boxster cap. Has nothing to do with the year. The switch is the same.

In my picture the top part is the cap and the bottom part is the surround.

If you removed the 2 gauges from the turbo cluster then why are you messing with a 996 surround. Going to put them back?

Hard for me to help as you never say this is what I want to do - how do I do it. I have to guess.

cluster_trim4.sized.jpg

I bought a 996 cap and surround to use with my TT gauges. I put back the voltage and OP gauge in the cluster. I need to fit the cluster with all 5 gauges in a surround. What configuration of the pieces I have would work best

I want to fit A: the 996TT Cluster in either

1. the 996 cap and surround (which would requre getting a different em switch)

or

2. the 986 cap and surround cutout to fit the extra gauges.

I promise you the switch cut out is different for the two clusters.

• Moderators

You are missing the oval trim piece and that is why there is a gap. A Boxster does not have this part. It is missing in your 996 picture.

First pic from Sandy. Top and to the right is the oval trim in the pic is the oval trim piece you are missing.

Second picture I took of Loren's car.

sandy_996_cluster_001.jpg

cluster9965.sized.jpg

• Moderators

The oval trim piece in black is 996 552 469 01 A03 - Porsche calls it a rose. It is held in place with 2 small metal clips on each side of the hazard switch. You can see the clips in Sandy's set of 4 pictures - the first picture in the set.

I cannot tell if your 996 cap has the clips as your picture has the hazard button in the way. Order the clips if you do not have them.

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators

You do not change a 986 cluster into a 996 cluster. You buy a 996 cluster and put it in, but it has to be from a 996 C2.

Dale used a twin turbo cluster but he cannot read the oil level. A turbo gets it's oil level from and oil tank. A Boxster/996 C2 does not have an oil tank - we get the level from the engine.

You cannot use a 996 C4 cluster. The C4 is AWD and has a different gas tank than a Boxster/C2, and the fuel gauge will be off.

The cluster to use is for a 996 C2. Then since you have a 2004 which has MOST, I suggest the cluster be from a 2003-2004 C2 which also has MOST.

For the oil pressure gauge to work you need to replace the single wire Boxster oil pressure sender with a two wire 996 sender, and run an additional wire from the sender to the instrument cluster.