Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Will C4S front bumper fit C2?

• Admin

It can be fitted with some work. The reinforcement behind the bumper either needs to be cut or replaced with the C4S/TT reinforcement and the ducting to the radiators needs to be changed out.

Search here for posts by (admin) doncapecod. He has pics and details of his conversion on his MY02 Cab.

Just did it about 3 weeks ago. What an improvement over the old stock Miata-styled bumper!

It was a fairly easy fit. I didn't cut the metal crossbar, I didn't even paint it. I just covered the 3-4" on each side that shows through the grill with black electric tape. And it looks great. Definitely don't bother cutting or replacing it. That's way overkill.

You can't attach the bumper at the bottom because the 5 of the screw holes don't line up. But you have enough bolts at the top and the sides to hold it securely. You can use tie wraps to hold it at the bottom if you want.

The wheel well linings need just a little trimming with an exacto knife to fit with the new bumper. And the big left and right grills need to remove the little mini-scoops on the inside of the grill to clear the metal bar. They come off pretty easily if you cut into their 2 mounting points and then pull them off.

I did not change any of the radiator scoops and it is just fine. Same airflow if not more with the new bumper to the radiators.

post-4765-1123600745_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you both for your replies. Awesome car PRH!! Looks great! Unfortunately, I am having a little difficulty with the body shop. They don't want to do anything that is not a near direct replacement (little to no modification) to the stock bumper. Would the GT3 be a direct fit?

Thank you both for your replies. Awesome car PRH!! Looks great! Unfortunately, I am having a little difficulty with the body shop. They don't want to do anything that is not a near direct replacement (little to no modification) to the stock bumper. Would the GT3 be a direct fit?

Thanks for the props!

If that's the bumper you want, you have got to find another body shop. That's sad that they can't handle anything that is not direct. Very uncool.

Keep in mind that I did the C4s bumper myself in my garage. I take my time, and it probably took 2 hours since I wasn't familiar with removing the old bumper. It should take an experience body shop 45 minutes.

You can always just have them paint it and then do the install yourself, or find another shop to install it for you, or even better, invite the local Porsche DIY club to help you and pay them in beer and pizza...

Only 2 hours to install?? You guys are starting to make me think that I can/should install the bumper myself. I have plenty of automotive mechanical experience, but have never attempted any body work. Always the fear of the unknown I guess.

PRH & Don - Are both your fenders OEM? Are there any parts to buy for installation other then the bumper cover itself? Was the bumper painted after or before it was installed?

Don - Loren mentioned that you posted photos/instruction on how your install. Couldn't find it. Would you know where it resides? Also, did you do the work yourself? How long would you estimate it took?

One last thing (for now :huh: ), I still don't understand why the C4S bumper, being from a widebody, won't be wider than my narrow body fenders???

Ok....Let's see if we can help you.

The bumper is held on with screws. So you aren't doing any "body work" in the traditional sense.

I found someone selling a C4s bumper in red since he took it off to replace with an aftermarket bumper of a different style.

The widebody and the narrow body are the same in width from the front to just behind the doors. In other words, widebodies are not wider all around.

When you buy the bumper, make sure you get all the grills, the lower lip, and the eyebrows that go around the bottom of the headlights. If you don't it will cost you big time to buy them separately. Just say no to anyone selling you just the bumper without these things.

If you need to paint the bumper, take it to a body shop by itself to be painted. But let them look at your car to match the paint. It's much easier for them to work on it off the car and you don't want your car getting all dirty in a paint shop if it doesn't need to be there. Better yet, if you can let your car sit idle for some time, take off the original bumper and take both of them there so they can paint match it to the original bumper.

Now, slap yourself real hard and say to yourself "I can do this!"

Edited by PorschePRH

Ok....Let's see if we can help you.

The bumper is held on with screws.  So you are doing any "body work" in the traditional sense.

I found someone selling a C4s bumper in red since he took it off to replace with an aftermarket bumper of a different style.

The widebody and the narrow body are the same in width from the front to just behind the doors.  In other words, widebodies are not wider all around.

When you buy the bumper, make sure you get all the grills, the lower lip, and the eyebrows that go around the bottom of the headlights.  If you don't it will cost you big time to buy them separately.  Just say no to anyone selling you just the bumper without these things.

If you need to paint the bumper, take it to a body shop by itself to be painted.  But let them look at your car to match the paint.  It's much easier for them to work on it off the car and you don't want your car getting all dirty in a paint shop if it doesn't need to be there.  Better yet, if you can let your car sit idle for some time, take off the original bumper and take both of them there so they can paint match it to the original bumper.

Now, slap yourself real hard and say to yourself "I can do this!"

I really can't addd anymore information. I had mine installed. Didn't do it myself, but all things being equal I could have. The fit is dead on as told. In fact, my installer didn't even change the air ducts because I have a 3rd radiator in the center. Because of the headlight covers I didn't need the eyebrows, and as you can see I had the lip painted silver because I liked the line with the rocker panels better. I have pictures of the stock bumper removed and the mounting bar cut back show it wouldn't show. (a new, shorter mounting bar is about $700 today which is ridiculous. I was fortunate enough to have the shop remove a TT bumper from the guy I bought it from, paint it and install it, so he had whatever extra parts he might have needed. I'll look around for that and post it.

If it's a factory poly cover I rouldn't worry a bit. I would stay away from aftermarket fiberglass, however.

I'm of the opinion if you remove your stock bumper cover you will see how easy it is.

Here is a pic of the bumper cover off showing the bumper mount. Mine was cut back about 3 inches on either side, but as we know it is not necessary to do that

http://www.986host.com/albums/doncapecod/c...ose_3.sized.jpg