Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Phone power enough for radar & another accessory?

I've got an 02 C2.

I currently have my V1 hardwired into the switched phone power cable in the center console.

I am going to install a tire pressure monitor. I assume it has a hard wire kit, if not I'll have to see how many amps it draws and put a fuse inline.

Anyway, will that switched cell phone line be enough for the radar and tire monitor at the same time?

Each circuit (switched and unswitched) have a 7.5 A fuse. So as long as you don't have option(s) M614 (phone prep - motorola), M618 (phone prep - generic), or M662 (Nav) then the circuit is unused.

Bear with me. I'm a little slow here :)

I don't have any of those options you mentioned above.

Question for you.....

So, if I add how many amps the V1 and the tire pressure monitor draws together and it's less than 7.5, I should be good right?

Also, I know the V1 has an inline fuse with it's direct wire kit. Not sure if the monitor does or not, as it has not arrived yet. Do you think it would be a good idea to add an inline fuse just slightly larger than what the tire monitor draws if it doesn' have one?

I was on another forum and somebody said it probably wasn't necessary, but I'm no electrician :)

• Moderators
So, if I add how many amps the V1 and the tire pressure monitor draws together and it's less than 7.5, I should be good right?

Yes, but it is really not an issue because your 2 devices with not draw anything near 7.5 amps and the V1 is protected by an inline fuse that is far less than 7.5 amps. For example, on my year Boxster the headlight high beam has a 7.5 amp fuse. A headlight draws far more current than your 2 devices combined.

I bet your monitor will have it's own inline fuse. I can't imagine the draw of that device being more than an amp. So lets say it comes with a 1 amp inline fuse. You want to use that fuse because the 7.5 amp fuse for the cell phone connector will not protect the device but the smaller inline fuse will.

And I am no electrician....

from V1's site:

425 mA maximum alarm condition

from tiresmart's directions:

110 mA maximum during alert

am i correct in assuming that 425ma is the same as 4.25amps?

so if i'm reading this right, if both units are running and alerting at the same time, it should be maxed at 5.35 amps???

Thanks.

Got off the phone with their tech support regarding a hard wire kit. Doesn't come with one.

They recommend cutting the cigarette lighter off. White wire is power and the black is ground. They said it's not required, but you can put a 2amp fuse inline if I want.