Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

PSS9 kit spring rates for 996

Does anyone know what the spring rates are for the PSS9 kit for the 99' C2. A bilstein sales rep told me he thinks they are 260 lbs front and 515 lbs rear. That sounds like the wrong rates, as the ratio on stock MO30 and GT-3 spring rates front to rear is .7 to .75, the rates the bilstein rep quoted are almot .55.

Thanks,

Vman

Gert did not have the information on the spring rates, but confirmed that the US and European PSS9 kits are the exact same product. Note - some feel the Euro kit is stiffer. Also, I have heard of some people rigging the GT-3 PSS9 on 1999 C2 996, but have not been able to get much information on this stuff. Note - 260 and 500 on the PSS9 kit sounds wrong as the GT-3 is sprung at 285 lbs front and 385 rear.

• 2 months later...

Got off the phone with bilstein their PSS9 kit is sprung at 260 main + 125 to 150 tender = about 425 front and 525+ tender of 125 = 650 rear...so about the same as the typical moton setup of choice of 450/650

• 4 weeks later...
Got off the phone with bilstein their PSS9 kit is sprung at 260 main + 125 to 150 tender = about 425 front and 525+ tender of 125 = 650 rear...so about the same as the typical moton setup of choice of 450/650

my motons have 450/700 lb springs but the dampening is MUCH stiffer than PSS9s. dampening on Pss9s are much softer than on moton club sports, even on full stiff. mine are barely streetable and are better suited for the track but PSS9s are more of a performance street setup.

Gert did not have the information on the spring rates, but confirmed that the US and European PSS9 kits are the exact same product. Note - some feel the Euro kit is stiffer. Also, I have heard of some people rigging the GT-3 PSS9 on 1999 C2 996, but have not been able to get much information on this stuff. Note - 260 and 500 on the PSS9 kit sounds wrong as the GT-3 is sprung at 285 lbs front and 385 rear.

got this from another board: spring rates for gt3, ft 228#/rr 543#. i don't think PSS9 springs are any stiffer than gt3 springs.

Edited by karlooz

my motons have 450/700 lb springs but the dampening is MUCH stiffer than PSS9s. dampening on Pss9s are much softer than on moton club sports, even on full stiff. mine are barely streetable and are better suited for the track but PSS9s are more of a performance street setup.

got this from another board: spring rates for gt3, ft 228#/rr 543#. i don't think PSS9 springs are any stiffer than gt3 springs.

Just as a frame of reference, I had the Euro Sport Chassis installed on my 2006 997 and the spring rates are 205 lbs/inch in the front and a progressive 342->513 lbs/inch in the rear. The PASM equipped 997 are 188 lbs/inch in the front and 319 lbs/inch in the rear.

• 1 month later...
I think you have go your maths wrong I'm afraid.

When you add a tender spring you do not increase the spring rate, it is lowered unill the tender spring goes solid.

Interested if Bilsein gave you the primary (combined) rate.

Graham

As stated I the numbers from the bilstein tech down in their factory which is in Poway, CA...if wrong well sorry, but usually I expect a factory suspension tech to have a clue, as I am no suspension expert.

VMan