Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Opinions wanted on 996 40th anniversary model

I have an opportunity to purchase a pre-owned 04 996 anniversary model with 7000 miles on the odometer, nav system, 6 CD changer, and Bose HiFi.

I'm currently driving an 03 Boxster. Any comments on what to look for or specfic questions to ask the Porsche dealer?

Thanks for the input!

Not sure about the logic... They are a limited edition. So if you are prepared to keep the car for 20 years or so and not drive the hell out of it, you could see the benefits. It's supposed the best of the best of the type.

6 of one , half a dozen of the others.

However, a turbo always seems to always attract a lot of passion...and can be sold more easily.

So if you buy with as plan to sell, a turbo might be the right deal..

Cheers HarryR

I have an opportunity to purchase a pre-owned 04 996 anniversary model with 7000 miles on the odometer, nav system, 6 CD changer, and Bose HiFi. 

I'm currently driving an 03 Boxster.  Any comments on what to look for or specfic questions to ask the Porsche dealer?

Thanks for the input!

My opinion is biased, since my wife and I bought a 40th Anniversary 911 last year - we also happend to both turn 40, so there was an extra incentive. It has the special leather interior, X51 Power Kit, slightly lower suspension, unique wheels, limited slip differential, PSM, Turbo front, third radiator and a host of other options that made the car attractive to us.........the fact that only 1963 of them were made world wide may or may not mean something to you......but if you plan on keeping the car, and in excellent condition, you may have an asset someone will share your passion for if and when you decide to trade up or whatever in the future. They do stand out from the regular 996 cars - maybe that is a desirable characteristic. Drive it and see for yourself - and try a used Turbo as well to be objective about your final assessment.

I'm currently driving an 03 Boxster.  Any comments on what to look for or specfic questions to ask the Porsche dealer?

Thanks for the input!

My opinion is biased, since my wife and I bought a 40th Anniversary 911 last year - we also happend to both turn 40, so there was an extra incentive. It has the special leather interior, X51 Power Kit, slightly lower suspension, unique wheels, limited slip differential, PSM, Turbo front, third radiator and a host of other options that made the car attractive to us.........the fact that only 1963 of them were made world wide may or may not mean something to you......but if you plan on keeping the car, and in excellent condition, you may have an asset someone will share your passion for if and when you decide to trade up or whatever in the future. They do stand out from the regular 996 cars - maybe that is a desirable characteristic. Drive it and see for yourself - and try a used Turbo as well to be objective about your final assessment.

Thanks geza. I'm really not that interested in the perceived exclusivity of being 1 in 1963 but I liked the whole package and the paint. I choose my cars because I like to drive and enjoy them. Comparing to a TT might not be a fair comparison but I wonder how it might be relative to a base Carerra or an S? As a pre-owned vehicle it's listed $C 37k cheaper than as a new car and seemed like a good deal for me.

Will probably give a test drive next week and let you know what I think.

Thanks again for the input!

Thanks for the input!

Porsche says that the 997 Carrera S and the 40th Anniversary 996 both reach 125mph in 16.5 seconds............that suggests the 40th was a pretty good package.

Whatever you decide, you probably won't go wrong....looking forward to any feedback you care to share.

I thought real hard about buying one last year and I said...this car is just over priced for what it is. Someone above said you'd have to keep this car for 20 years for it to really appreciate. I think he's right. But in the end, if you like it, then you should get it.

I thought real hard about buying one last year and I said...this car is just over priced for what it is. Someone above said you'd have to keep this car for 20 years for it to really appreciate. I think he's right. But in the end, if you like it, then you should get it.

Just as an FYI - ours listed at US96K+, and we closed the deal at the dealership for 75K.........they were moving cars for the 997 models, and this was an internet incentive blah blah blah..........we were lucky, and that swayed the decision a hell of a lot.

Well, I would take a 996 Turbo or GT2/3 but other than that, they are my favorite 996 by far. I think the whole asthetic package is really attractive and the extra bit of power is pretty noticable over a regular 996.

Well, I would take a 996 Turbo or GT2/3 but other than that, they are my favorite 996 by far.  I think the whole asthetic package is really attractive and the extra bit of power is pretty noticable over a regular 996.

Thanks PTEC - I'll probabably get a chance to drive it on Monday or Tuesday. The dealer is shipping it in from an estate sale not too far from them. They are giving me first right of refusal after they have had a good look at it and finalize an asking price.

The 996 turbo or GT2/3 would be nice - just not in play for me at this time ($$).

Anybody have advice on what to keep my eyes open for on this model year (2004 996 anniversary model)?

Edited by MadCow

Anybody have advice on what to keep my eyes open for on this model year (2004 996 anniversary model)?

Matching leather luggage - 2 suitcases + key fob pouch, all in Natural Grey leather. These items were standard with the 40th. We have 3500 miles on ours - no rattles, leaks, wierd noises......pulls smoothly, they pull very hard and strong from about 4300 - 4500 rpm. Do all your routine checks - cosmetic exterior & interior, literature, service history, oil condition, window sticker maybe etc.......the cars have self levelling Xenon high & low beams as standard............suspension will feel a little stiff since the car is lower than standard. Locking differential really shoots you out of sharp corners when you apply power on exit........all in all, these models are a blast to drive. Overall, the car should just feel extremely solid in avery aspect.

Good luck!

A lot of the 40th anniv cars were heavily discounted when new, so definitely make sure the price reflects that.

My guess would be it's not a great investment, but from your original post that wasn't what you were asking necessarily.

I personally like the 40th for the following:

1.) The color is beautiful in person. Personally, I'd replace the wheels, though. Or trade them for the normal Carrera II wheels.

2.) The combination of LSD and X51, which includes oiling upgrades, makes the 40th a better track car, IMO, than the typical C2. When I had a C2 I considered upgrading to the 40th when the prices started to sink on them.

1.) The color is beautiful in person. Personally, I'd replace the wheels, though. Or trade them for the normal Carrera II wheels.

I was wondering about the polished wheels as well, although I have yet to see them up close. Does anyone know what "shot blasted" wheels are?

Cheers!

Edited by MadCow

the wheels are not chrome, but very shiny metal, and look just like the carrera 5 spokes

aloha

steve

I was wondering about the polished wheels as well, although I have yet to see them up close. Does anyone know what "shot blasted" wheels are?

Cheers!

I purchased a 40th Anniversary Edition in April 05 with 7K miles. I traded in my MY2K Boxster S and think it was a great step up. The car is very complete and the power is addictive. It sounds great and has every reasonable option incluing Navigation. I am always big on mods but have been frustrated at how complete this car is and how little opportunity I have had to mess with it. I added the usual spacers and carbon fiber shifter but that was about it. Purely cosmetic really.

The ride is stiff and I would suggest you and any likely frequent passenger get a feel for your comfort zone. The supension and the 18" wheels are somewhat unforgiving. You'll want to take your time on the test drive just for this.

I paid $68K at a non-Porsche dealership and the car had been traded in on a new Viper. Go figure that personality.

Regards

Cheers!

Search for "40th anniversary 911" on your browser and you will find plenty of images of the car - wheels and all. Imagine the wheel surface after being blasted with minute steel shot - and you get a finish as suggested that is not quite chrome, but not satin aluminum either - it is in between.

Some perspective with regard to value: If you bought a stock 2004 C2 and optioned it with all the 40th features, including fancy leather luggage - you would hit approx US115K (assuming you could also get a Turbo front fitted before you took delivery of your loaded C2)

Cheers!

post-3457-1124832659_thumb.jpg

wow, where'd you get that pic?

is there a similar one for the Boxster 550 SE?

aloha

steve

Cheers!

wow, where'd you get that pic?

is there a similar one for the Boxster 550 SE?

aloha

steve

It used to be available on the Porsche website as wallpaper..........but they have since redone the site, and removed a whole lot of images, information etc - must have been constrained by storage.......? There was even a video of the 40th going around Weissach - with the engineer responsible for chassis development at the wheel doing the comentary......alas, it has been removed too..........

I purchased a 40th Anniversary Edition in April 05 with 7K miles. I traded in my MY2K Boxster S and think it was a great step up. The car is very complete and the power is addictive. It sounds great and has every reasonable option incluing Navigation. I am always big on mods but have been frustrated at how complete this car is and how little opportunity I have had to mess with it. I added the usual spacers and carbon fiber shifter but that was about it. Purely cosmetic really.

The ride is stiff and I would suggest you and any likely frequent passenger get a feel for your comfort zone. The supension and the 18" wheels are somewhat unforgiving. You'll want to take your time on the test drive just for this.

I paid $68K at a non-Porsche dealership and the car had been traded in on a new Viper. Go figure that personality.

Regards

The 40th anniversary 996 I am interested in has the navigation package as well. I have yet to see a Porsche nav package in operation. How do you like it?

Excellent navigation system. I am a longtime Garmin user in my other vehicle and the Porsche system is better. Very easy to use, program en route, and accurate. The 08/2005 nav maps will be or have just been released so you will be able to have the most up-to-date information available.

The wheels are purely a question of taste. They are easy to maintain and they go well with the paint. I use Mothers after I wash the car and then wax the rims as with any other Porsche wheel. Simple really.

The loss of the rear trunk is an interesting point in comparing your Boxster. Putting golf clubs in the rear seat is less obvious than the ease of the Boxster.

I think you would enjoy the car.

Excellent navigation system. I am a longtime Garmin user in my other vehicle and the Porsche system is better. Very easy to use, program en route, and accurate. The 08/2005 nav maps will be or have just been released so you will be able to have the most up-to-date information available. 

The wheels are purely a question of taste. They are easy to maintain and they go well with the paint. I use Mothers after I wash the car and then wax the rims as with any other Porsche wheel. Simple really.

The loss of the rear trunk is an interesting point in comparing your Boxster. Putting golf clubs in the rear seat is less obvious than the ease of the Boxster.

I think you would enjoy the car.

Thanks - All the helpful comments and that picture from geza have really stoked my interest! I'm still waiting for the car to arrive at the dealer but I should get a chance to spend some time with it (her?) by the weekend.

Thanks - All the helpful comments and that picture from geza have really stoked my interest! I'm still waiting for the car to arrive at the dealer but I should get a chance to spend some time with it (her?) by the weekend.

More images..............

post-3457-1124901405_thumb.jpg

post-3457-1124901421_thumb.jpg

post-3457-1124901466_thumb.jpg

post-3457-1124901482_thumb.jpg

post-3457-1124901508_thumb.jpg