Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Opinions wanted on 996 40th anniversary model

Well, the car arrived at the dealer and I spent some time driving and looking at it on Saturday.

This car pulls hard and rides beautifully. On sloping curves I was able to retain a nice fluid line at speed. Although it 'felt' heavier than my Boxster, I was very impressed with the acceleration and handling.

With the sunroof open and at city street speed, I did get a noticeable reverberation inside the cabin which disappeared if a side window was cracked open.

At highway speed I was amazed at the amount of torque from the 6th gear. Braking was good but didn't feel they performed as well as the Boxster, again probably due more to the respective weight difference.

The interior and exterior were in excellent condition with a little bit of tarnish at the exhaust which the dealer will clean up. To seal the deal they are giving me a an additional 2 years/50000 mi Porsche warranty.

I'm sold and will be be picking it up on Friday - Yippeee!

I am considering adding 3M StoneGuard (transparent urethane film) to the front. I didn't have this on my Boxster. Are there any opinions on whether this is worth putting on?

Great news - Congrats!

Don't know what Boxster brakes are like, but all you need to do is lunge on the 911 brakes and you will immediately be reassured - the 40th was measured to stop in 110ft from 60mph - 3ft shy of the 2005 Boxster S at the same speed.

Many on this forum swear by the 3M film application - almost all stipulate it is only as good as the installer's skills - so make sure you seek out an installer who has done a number of 996's - with satisfied customer references..........

Many on this forum swear by the 3M film application - almost all stipulate it is only as good as the installer's skills - so make sure you seek out an installer who has done a number of 996's - with satisfied customer references..........

Thanks geza. The Porsche dealer is doing the install and I have a lot of confidence in their ability!

Thanks geza. The Porsche dealer is doing the install and I have a lot of confidence in their ability!

Found the video - finally.......on the Porsche UK website........

http://www3.uk.porsche.com/english/gbr/911...rs/on-track.htm

• 2 weeks later...

MadCow,

We have a 40th and love it. The only issue I had with the car was the suspension. Its harsh and its detached. Tried messing with tire pressures which helped quite a bit but we finally ended up replacing it with X74 and the car now qualifies as a Porsche. If ride height is a concern, ROW MO30 is also nice.

If you enjoy driving, I think swapping out the suspension is a must. With X74, there's actually less harshness. Tire pressures are 35F/40R.

MadCow,

We have a 40th and love it.  The only issue I had with the car was the suspension.  Its harsh and its detached.  Tried messing with tire pressures which helped quite a bit but we finally ended up replacing it with X74 and the car now qualifies as a Porsche.  If ride height is a concern, ROW MO30 is also nice.

If you enjoy driving, I think swapping out the suspension is a must.  With X74, there's actually less harshness.  Tire pressures are 35F/40R.

Well, I've had the car for about 2 weeks now and couldn't be happier. The extra power when you put your foot in it is exhilarating, brakes are great (duh, it's a Porsche :D ), the interior is very comfortable and gives me (6'4") lots of leg room, stereo is 1st rate, and the nav system is intuitive, accurate, and flexible. I wasn't really taken with the polished wheels when I first saw them but they perfectly compliment the GT silver paint and wouldn't trade them for a more traditional satin finish. I really think Porsche nailed the design, performance package and creature comforts for this car!

You may be right about the suspension - I think I'll give it some more time behind the wheel and then decide on whether to replace it with X74.

Cheers!

MadCow,

We have a 40th and love it.  The only issue I had with the car was the suspension.  Its harsh and its detached.  Tried messing with tire pressures which helped quite a bit but we finally ended up replacing it with X74 and the car now qualifies as a Porsche.  If ride height is a concern, ROW MO30 is also nice.

If you enjoy driving, I think swapping out the suspension is a must.  With X74, there's actually less harshness.  Tire pressures are 35F/40R.

Well, I've had the car for about 2 weeks now and couldn't be happier. The extra power when you put your foot in it is exhilarating, brakes are great (duh, it's a Porsche :D ), the interior is very comfortable and gives me (6'4") lots of leg room, stereo is 1st rate, and the nav system is intuitive, accurate, and flexible. I wasn't really taken with the polished wheels when I first saw them but they perfectly compliment the GT silver paint and wouldn't trade them for a more traditional satin finish. I really think Porsche nailed the design, performance package and creature comforts for this car!

You may be right about the suspension - I think I'll give it some more time behind the wheel and then decide on whether to replace it with X74.

Cheers!

I've put 16k on mine in the last 15 months and I really love the car. Looks are stunning and handling and performance excellent. They were overpriced given the supply and proximity to C4S when introduced. Porche screwed up and either should have lowered the price point or made something like 911 instead of 1963 as they did for the 30 year car. Further evidence is used 40 years are trading in the US$68-70k range. No premium relative to other loaded '04 C2 coupes. I bought it for $76k new because it seemed like a good deal relative to stock. Given large numbers, I didn't believe the collector's car hype. I have no illusions about it trading at a premium relative to other C2's for a long time to come, if ever.

Please let us know about the X74 decision. I've been thinking about that, too. ROW M030 doesn't sound like enough of an upgrade relative to existing ride height and stiffness to make the switch. 40 year car is actually lower than USA M030!

I've got 15,000 miles on a PSS9 suspension and I love it.  Much better ride than the stock US spec sport suspension and the option for custom tuning.

I believe it!

By how much did the PSS9 lower your 40 year? Are you now about the height of a GT3? Did you add a plate to the bottom of the case? Any issues with bottom out or smacking the spoiler?

Many thanks,