Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Picked up new 987

I picked up my new 05 987 on Wednesday from a Porsche dealer in Western Massachusetts (great experience if anyone from around here is in the market, PM me). Traded in 2004 Audi A4 Cabriolet. I have had a couple of days to get used to the Boxster and this is a quick rundown of my initial impressions.

2005 Boxster, Carmon Red, Black Top, Sand Beige interior. Bose with wind stop, Power seats, auto climate, 18in rims, floor mats.

First, appearance: I got the Carmon Red Metallic, which seems to be a rare color around here. All I can say is WOW! The color is absolutely stunning and if you haven't seen it in person, pictures do it no justice. Its a burgundy-like color. Looks good with the black top. Might look ok with the tan top, but I think it would give it more of a feminine look (sorry). 18in rims look great, and I think are a must. I really didn't care for the look of the 17s, and I think the 19 might be overkill. This particular model didn't come with the painted center caps, so I am browsing eBay for a nice set. Any ideas where I could find a set for a good price?

Interior is a the light tan color, and also looks great. I am, however, worried about wear and dirt. I will have to be extra careful to make sure my hands are super clean on the wheel and shoes are clean on the rugs, same for the seats. The Bose system was a bonus on the car that I got, wasn't a must for me. I am impressed with the sound of the system so far, but not all of the logistics (more later). The autoclimate is a waste in my opinion, again it was on this car on the lot. I would use the 500 bucks for some of the little options like painted wheel centers, etc.

Performance: The engine sounds great and pulls very well. I feel like I am beating on the car all the time though, as I cannot help winding the revs up everytime I drive. The salesman told me that there is no break-in period necessary, but I have been TRYING (somewhat unsuccessfully) to go easy on it. I haven't redlined it and have only given it full throttle briefly. Handles the corners unbelieveably well.

A couple of niggles: What is up with the radio buttons. I have to use my pinky to press them without pressing more than one and I don't have particularly fat fingers. I HATE the fact that Satellite Radio is unavailable. I have become addicted. Reception seems to suck. Also, no in dash CD changer.

I don't like how the engine fan turns on so often in the righthand intake/vent. It seems extremely loud and takes away from the sweet song of the flat 6.

Is it me or is it impossible to close either trunk without getting fingerprints all over your freshly washed paint?

Although I actually like this "Porsche attribute," how long is it going to take me to get used to having the key on the left side of the steering column? :)

All in all, let me say that I love this car. Man oh man all I want to do is drive now. I haven't driven it yet with the top up! Thanks for reading.....

• 2 weeks later...

Your salesman was WRONG! There is a break in period for the Boxster. Porsche recommend staying off full throttle and high rpm for 3000km/1850miles. You should be able to find this information in the owner's manual - you did read it, didn't you? My dealer (UK) suggested a max of 5000rpm during the break-in period which still allowed me very satisfactory performance. I now have 2000 miles on the clock so I can enjoy the car to the full.

You may regret not having optioned the PCM option if you ever get to try it. The radio, mobile phone and CD operation is brilliant and the sat-nav incredibly clear and accurate.

You are right, it's a great car, better in every respect than the 986 model, except.........it's not quite such a good looking car, in my opinion.

Have fun, but take it easy for a while!

I picked up my new 05 987 on Wednesday from a Porsche dealer in Western Massachusetts (great experience if anyone from around here is in the market, PM me). Traded in 2004 Audi A4 Cabriolet. I have had a couple of days to get used to the Boxster and this is a quick rundown of my initial impressions.

2005 Boxster, Carmon Red, Black Top, Sand Beige interior. Bose with wind stop, Power seats, auto climate, 18in rims, floor mats.

First, appearance: I got the Carmon Red Metallic, which seems to be a rare color around here. All I can say is WOW! The color is absolutely stunning and if you haven't seen it in person, pictures do it no justice. Its a burgundy-like color. Looks good with the black top. Might look ok with the tan top, but I think it would give it more of a feminine look (sorry). 18in rims look great, and I think are a must. I really didn't care for the look of the 17s, and I think the 19 might be overkill. This particular model didn't come with the painted center caps, so I am browsing eBay for a nice set. Any ideas where I could find a set for a good price?

Interior is a the light tan color, and also looks great. I am, however, worried about wear and dirt. I will have to be extra careful to make sure my hands are super clean on the wheel and shoes are clean on the rugs, same for the seats. The Bose system was a bonus on the car that I got, wasn't a must for me. I am impressed with the sound of the system so far, but not all of the logistics (more later). The autoclimate is a waste in my opinion, again it was on this car on the lot. I would use the 500 bucks for some of the little options like painted wheel centers, etc.

Performance: The engine sounds great and pulls very well. I feel like I am beating on the car all the time though, as I cannot help winding the revs up everytime I drive. The salesman told me that there is no break-in period necessary, but I have been TRYING (somewhat unsuccessfully) to go easy on it. I haven't redlined it and have only given it full throttle briefly. Handles the corners unbelieveably well. 

A couple of niggles: What is up with the radio buttons. I have to use my pinky to press them without pressing more than one and I don't have particularly fat fingers. I HATE the fact that Satellite Radio is unavailable. I have become addicted. Reception seems to suck. Also, no in dash CD changer. 

I don't like how the engine fan turns on so often in the righthand intake/vent. It seems extremely loud and takes away from the sweet song of the flat 6.

Is it me or is it impossible to close either trunk without getting fingerprints all over your freshly washed paint?

Although I actually like this "Porsche attribute," how long is it going to take me to get used to having the key on the left side of the steering column?  :)

All in all, let me say that I love this car. Man oh man all I want to do is drive now. I haven't driven it yet with the top up! Thanks for reading.....

Hi Britairdog,

Just received my owner's manual on a CD from Porsche (issue May 2005, generic European, still waiting for the car itself) and found the following on page 12:

"Tips for running in:

The following tips will be helpful in obtaining optimum performance from your new Porsche.

Despite the most modern, high-precision manufacturing methods, the "wearing in" of moving parts with each other cannot be completely avoided. This wearing occurs mainly in the first 3,000 km (1,865 miles).

During the first 3,000 km (1,865 miles) you should:

- preferably take longer trips

- avoid frequent cold start with short-distance driving whenever possible

- Not participate in motor racing events, sports driving schools or similar.

- Avoid high engine speeds, especially when the engine is cool."

Nothing about RPMs and WOTs... Seems to me that Porsche has a different approach to different markets: in the US they may want to break-in the drivers, in the UK they want to protect the engine, on other parts of the world... they just don't want to look too odd with their running-in instructions... :) You pay heavy bucks here (100kUSD or so) for a BoxS, would feel somewhat crazy to drive it like a soccer mom's minivan for a few thousand miles :)))

• 3 months later...