Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Boxster Plastic Back Window

:lightbulb:

Guys,

I have a Boxster 986 2.7 MY 2001. I bought it three months ago from Germany. I live in Athens, Greece - so lot's of sunshine and reason to put the top down.

Yesterday I had the car washed and I noticed droplets of water inside the cabin right in the middle between the roll bars. I looked carefully, because so far the car was totally perfect and never before let any water in and I noticed that a slight cut on the plastic window right next to the sims (where it is attached to the black fabric of the roof) allowed water to come in. The cut is very slight, unoticable (less than half a centimeter) and it is in the top upper part of the plastic window where it is attached to the black fabric. By the way it is totally centered horizontally.

What do you suggest that I do? i.e. do you think that is is fixable by the dealer without replacing the whole window? Will it tear itself further? How about if I stick a small sticker on the inside side like a decal for example to seal it off?

Any suggestions?

What is rougly the cost of replacing the plastic window? I am very reluctant to having the dealer fix it by placing a patch as it will look terrible, while a sticker (like a decal could look ok), especially since the cut it is horizontally centered.

THX

Ibro

As far as I know, boxster plastic windows are not replaceable. If i remember correctly, you'll need a whole new top or will have to go to an independent place who can sew in a new one (yuck). Im not sure on cost but a new top is at least a grand plus like 6 or so hours labor... .at least.

:lightbulb:

Since, the cut is still unnoticable (less than 0.5 centimeters) do you think that sealing it off with a decal sticker on the inside could work?

THX

Ibro

That could work. Or why not just pick up a small piece of clear plastic and stitch it in with some nylon? It shouldn't be too noticeable if the crack is near the sim anyway.

Stop, stop, stop. Not good ideas and incorrect info all around.

I have a MY99 Boxster. I cracked my window one cold evening when I decided to show someone how the roof goes down. The opening was about three inches long, going up and down, right in the middle of the window. I taped it off from the outside with some clear packaging tape. That worked until I got it replaced about a week later. In the meantime, it peeled and left goop all over the window and looked like crap. So stickers are not a solution.

I talked to my service consultant at the local Porsche dealer. He said they (the dealer) could do it but they would just end up sending the car to an upholstery shop and charge me about twice as much. So he recommended I call the upholstery shop myself.

The upholstery shop did it in one day. It takes a full day. They have to take the top off the car to cut out the old window and seam work. Then they sew in a new window. It is a little bigger than the original but not so you would notice. It doesn't look like a hack job. The material they used is the same material used in military gas masks. It's very clear and better then the standard plastic rear window. It cleans up with water. The toal cost was $425.

I would recommend my shop but they are in Southern California. They work on boats, cars and restaurants. I would ask at the local Porsche dealer who they could recommend. Or go down to the local marina or your favorite restaurant and ask who they use.

Good luck,

-pvaughan

Taking it to the upholstery shop or replacing it with a glass top are all definitive solutions that would cost lots of money. And they are, of course, the best solutions. But tapes and stitches are salvage ideas that could save some money, potentially. If they don't work, you can always resort to replacing the top anyway. Doesn't hurt to try.