Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Replacing caliper seals

I'm getting ready to remove my calipers to paint them, and I'm already planning on replacing the rotors "while I'm in there", though in truth, they do need to be done.

I'm wondering if it's worth replacing the "outer" caliper seal while I'm in there. Last time I changed pads, the seals didn't look too bad, but if they're cheap, and easy to replace, I'm thinking I should just do it.

Is this a good idea, or not?

I'm getting ready to remove my calipers to paint them, and I'm already planning on replacing the rotors "while I'm in there", though in truth, they do need to be done.

I'm wondering if it's worth replacing the "outer" caliper seal while I'm in there. Last time I changed pads, the seals didn't look too bad, but if they're cheap, and easy to replace, I'm thinking I should just do it.

Is this a good idea, or not?

Hi,

If they are not leaking, leave them alone. You raise the potential of having a problem if you change the seal. You may make a mistake, or the new seal may have a defect. It's only worth taking this risk if they're leaking and you have to do it.

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99

It probably depends on how hard you use your brakes. With the way I use mine, I need to service the dust seals every couple of years. The heat from the track frys them and they become brittle and crack. However, on a car which doesn't see the track, they probably last almost indefinitely.

They are pretty easy to replace, but they aren't all that cheap. (Sorry - I forgot the price.) FYI - I was able to replace mine without removing the calipers. However, it would be quite easy when the calipers are off.

It's a very low risk repair. The outer seals are not hydraulic seals. They are just dust seals to protect the pistons and inner hydraulic seals. Replace them if there is any question of them drying out and cracking soon.

kc

Hi,

If they are not leaking, leave them alone. You raise the potential of having a problem if you change the seal. You may make a mistake, or the new seal may have a defect. It's only worth taking this risk if they're leaking and you have to do it.

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99

Edited by KevinC

• 11 months later...
How do you actually change the caliper seals - I can't see how you can easily get off the old ones and install the new ones? Is it easier to push the caliper pistons all the way out?

Just grab them and pull them off. The inner surface is just a rubber seal on the piston. The outer surface may be a little harder as there is some spring tension holding it in place. The spring is a metal ring that is molded inside of the seal.