Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Blown 97 boxster engine - help

My engine on my 97 boxster just blowen. At 48K milage this surely can not be right.

Was driving nicely on the highway (70 m/hr) and heard a big noise and cracking from the engine. I stopped and got it towed to a garage and they are now telling me that the engine is gone.

I expected more of a boxster engine. Anyone had the same problem?

I think Porsche should replace my engine. Any experience from others?

Help - I will be calling porsche tomorrow and talk to them - this can not be right :(

- Kanin

My engine on my 97 boxster just blowen. At 48K milage this surely can not be right.

Was driving nicely on the highway (70 m/hr) and heard a big noise and cracking from the engine. I stopped and got it towed to a garage and they are now telling me that the engine is gone.

Help - I will be calling porsche tomorrow and talk to them - this can not be right :(

- Kanin

That sucks! :( I wonder if it's part of the miss fire problem you were having? Did you make sure the spark plugs were in correctly and tight but not over torqued. I've seen waaaay over torqued plugs on engines that cracked the head and caused the the head to blow out. let us know what happened. Hope nothing too bad. :huh:

- Kanin

There was an article written in the Porsche Club magazine Panorama about the failures of the 986 engines. Apparently the manufacturer of the engine cases had some problems and a cylinder would come loose. I have seen a few, and Porsche sells a complete engine for very little money, last time I checked it was $5500.00. Sorry to hear it happend to you.

That sucks! :( I wonder if it's part of the miss fire problem you were having? Did you make sure the spark plugs were in correctly and tight but not over torqued. I've seen waaaay over torqued plugs on engines that cracked the head and caused the the head to blow out. let us know what happened. Hope nothing too bad. :huh:

I was told that it was the big end bearing that was gone. I am then also assuming that there must be some damage to the crank shaft.

Getting a second opinion on the whole matter today.

:o - I am still in shock as I have always taken good care of the car from a service point of view - had it for 6 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Just to close the loop on this one.

No help from Porsche I will have to get a new engine and get it installed my self :(

By the way already found an engine and getting it installed next week. So I will hopefully be back on the road by end of next week latest - with a lighter wallet though :)

-Kanin

Is there a specific procedure, requirement to avail the $5500 engine? Is this the current dealership price of a 986 engine or is this a "special" price for "qualified" people who unfortunately had engine failures and Porsche NA has to pre-approve the $5500 engine price....Also, ive heard that some people were able to get Porsche to "goodwill" replacement engine for free eventhough their cars were out of warranty coverage.

Edited by spine911

Don't know what the price is normally.

I am in the UK and not in the US - moved over here a year ago with my car.

Any way one of the arguments Porsche UK used for not being able to help me was that this was a US car and not a UK car - I guess they did not make any revenue on the car and it was 8 years old. Apparently they have guidelines on what the conditions are before they can help you through "goodwill"

I was told by the Porsche dealer that a new engine would cost me £8720 - yes that is correct and outrages to be honest. This price does not include installation. This equals to about US dollars $13K - better to get another car for that price. so don't know about your $5500 price?

I did the sensible thing - I fond another engine where someone had swopped their 2.5LA to a 3.2L and just getting mine replaced with that engine. Will get a a years warranty on the engine. This obviously did not happen through the established Porsche network but through another smaller garage specializing in Porsches. I have not got anything good to say about Porsche at the moment so will leave it at that - still pissed off to be honest.

I hope none of you ever experiance what I went through.

Don't know what the price is normally.

I am in the UK and not in the US - moved over here a year ago with my car.

Any way one of the arguments Porsche UK used for not being able to help me was that this was a US car and not a UK car - I guess they did not make any revenue on the car and it was 8 years old. Apparently they have guidelines on what the conditions are before they can help you through "goodwill"

I was told by the Porsche dealer that a new engine would cost me £8720 - yes that is correct and outrages to be honest. This price does not include installation. This equals to about US dollars $13K - better to get another car for that price. so don't know about your $5500 price?

I did the sensible thing - I fond another engine where someone had swopped their 2.5LA to a 3.2L and just getting mine replaced with that engine. Will get a a years warranty on the engine. This obviously did not happen through the established Porsche network but through another smaller garage specializing in Porsches. I have not got anything good to say about Porsche at the moment so will leave it at that - still pissed off to be honest.

I hope none of you ever experiance what I went through.

Very sorry to hear that, I hope the car makes you feel better from here on. Thanks for sharing- Gary