Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Thermostat Remove and Replace

Tried searching both the DIY and 996 forums with no luck. I think my thermostat has become stuck. Car is slow to get up to temp and not stable after arriving at temp. Can anyone provide me with a DIY for changing the T-stat out?

Thanks. Its for a 99 996 Carerra.

:thumbup:

Got it done. Relatively simple operation but a MAJOR PIA to get the hoses off. I'd suggest that if anyone else plans this operation they get replacement hoses. Small cost and it may as well be done while you're at it. Temps are much more stable so I think that there was a developing problem there.

Thanks again to Loren for instructional assitance.

Car was slow to heat up to operating temp, slow to react to increased temps and slow to cool back down. Temps are now much more stable and consistent.

I couldn't see any obvious signs of damage/defect on the old tstat but its clear that the change has improved things.

Still recommend replacing the hoses while you're down there. I'd have saved a lot of time and aggravation if I'd been able to just cut off the hoses. Its tight down there and tough to get a grip on the larger/upper hose. Ultimately, I had to remove the thermostat housing to get the upper hose off.

I'd also recommend getting a hose clamp to keep from losing as much coolant as I did during the process.

• 3 years later...
Car was slow to heat up to operating temp, slow to react to increased temps and slow to cool back down. Temps are now much more stable and consistent.

I couldn't see any obvious signs of damage/defect on the old tstat but its clear that the change has improved things.

Still recommend replacing the hoses while you're down there. I'd have saved a lot of time and aggravation if I'd been able to just cut off the hoses. Its tight down there and tough to get a grip on the larger/upper hose. Ultimately, I had to remove the thermostat housing to get the upper hose off.

I'd also recommend getting a hose clamp to keep from losing as much coolant as I did during the process.

Hi,

Since your original post, I was hoping someone would have put up their procedures for the Thermostat replacement. Unless I'm missing it, I don't see it. I've searched the forums and can pretty much piece together things, but would you happen to have the actual procedures from Loren? Just want to make sure I'm identifying the correct location, hoses, etc. Thanks!