Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Do I need to replace fly wheel

Hi all

I am in the process of getting my engine swapped out (as many of you probably already read in another string) and want to get the clutch changed while I am at it.

I am being told that I should get the fly wheel changed as well but can not understand that.

Any recommendations learnings from anyone. Should I get the fly wheel changed as well when changing the clutch?

-Kanin

Sorry - forgot to mention that it is a 97 2.5L boxster.

-Kanin

we usually recommend our customer to do that as well , just to save labour in the future . but than again , if the flywheel does not look worn out , obvious u dont need to replace it . also , some people wants to upgrade to a lighter one and its a good time to do so , while u are already doing the clutch :jump:

I would go ahead and replace the flywheel, but not with a factory one. I'd get the light weight one like maninblack suggested with inserts instead. The original one is a dual mass flywheel that cannot be machined. It has caused vibration in mine and has to be replaced for $700 + my labor, but the lightweight ones are only in the $400 range with the first insert and replacement inserts are in the $200 range.

There are two advantages to this. First is you get the equivalent of a new flywheel for $200 later when it's time to replace the clutch since you only have to replace the wear surface which is the insert. Second is you have a lighter flywheel so it's easier on the engine with less weight to be rotated.

I believe they are 12mm "triple square" bolts (aka "cheesehead" or "12 point inverted"). I'm positive they're triple squares, just not 100% on the 12mm size. You can get a single triple square or a small (maybe 4 pieces) set at NAPA.

I'm not sure about the Boxster since I have not worked on the flywheel yet, but in the 928 there's not enough room for the long bits that are sold at retail. I took a Dremel with a cutting wheel to cut it down to a workable length, just in case you run into the same problem.

Anyone know if there is lighter factory single mass f/w (simliar to the GT3RS) available for these cars? Call me paranoid but I'd prefer a factory solution over aftermarket..

I don't think there is a factory one. Aftermarket will usually be a better, stronger flywheel anyway. Most aftermarket flywheels are made for racing so the standards are higher. Most aftermarket "upgrade" parts (not replacements) are created after several years of seeing how the original parts hold up. Several aftermarket parts for the 928 are far superior to the original. A-arm bushings, heater valve, lightweight flywheel, fuel lines, door arm rest supports, air filter, swaybar and tons of other aftermarket parts are much better built than the originals. The way I see it, if Porsche created the original defective flywheel, and several others are having the same problem, I don't want to put another one in for twice the price and have it go bad again.

I believe they are 12mm "triple square" bolts (aka "cheesehead" or "12 point inverted").  I'm positive they're triple squares, just not 100% on the 12mm size.  You can get a single triple square or a small (maybe 4 pieces) set at NAPA.

I'm not sure about the Boxster since I have not worked on the flywheel yet, but in the 928 there's not enough room for the long bits that are sold at retail.  I took a Dremel with a cutting wheel to cut it down to a workable length, just in case you run into the same problem.

I saw these bolts when I replaced the clutch recently - I just didn't have anything in my toolbox that fit them, and I didn't want to wait until after a visit to the auto supply house to reassemble things. This was basically a question for 'next time'

With the car on jackstands and transmission and muffler removed, there is plenty of room to sit upright with with your legs crossed where the transmission used to be. There is room to get a breaker bar and an 8" extension on the end of the "triple square" flywheel bolts and swing your elbows if you need to.