Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

30k Service time

My 1999 Speed Yellow Aerokit coupe needs a little tlc. The odometers reads 29,832......Time for the 30k. Correct me if I am wrong, but the 30K is only an oil and filter (pollen) change correct? I was planning on doing this myself because it is easy.

Is the 45K service the spark plug change??

I already ordered the oil wrench tool and printed the directions.

• Admin

The service manual shows for up to model year 01 that you change the plugs at 30,000 miles. Make sure you use the newer style plugs 999 170 207 91 (14FGR 6KQU). Or, the latest Porsche recommends.

Porsche changed the interval on the newer cars in MY01 (to 60,000 miles) but left the older cars at 30,000.

spark_plugs.gif

• Moderators

I want your car. Been looking for a 996 that needs service. Aileen who worked on your car needs a 30k service and we are going to film it. Want to film a 996 service at the same time, with the cars side by side. Also do the brake fluid replacement with my Motive. I have done the 15, 30, 45, and 60k services and have the tools and the 'official' maintenance schedule given to the mechanics. This time you can get your hands dirty and play a leading role.

Let me know. Jeff

Tool Pants. You want my car... you got it. I can easily do this stuff on our early 911's but the 996 stuff is a little scary because of the space. I would love the help. I'll buy the plugs, oil, oil filter, alum seal, pollen filter, (i have a K&N so no air filter) Do I need anything else?

• Moderators

Chad, I do not think I have your email so send it to me. Aileen already bought her parts on Saturday. Aileen and I will do the Boxster and you and Loren can do the 996. Get your parts. This will be a good DVD.

I have a ball end metric allen wrench set, but it is not need. I have a snap-on wobble extension that Porsche says is needed, but I change the pulgs without it. Funny, but some of the special tool stuff the shop manual(s) say you need, the mechanics at my local dealer do not have as they use what they have that works, as they have to buy their own tools.

If you want to change the brake fluid then buy at least a liter of your favorite flavor. We will do the clutch at the same time. If your power steering fluid level is ok then you do not need to buy a can of Pentosine. I use the 99 cents per gallon washer fluid

We will time the 2 teams. But you should beat us as it takes a bit longer to access a mid-engine. Jeff

My 1999 Speed Yellow Aerokit coupe needs a little tlc.  The odometers reads 29,832......Time for the 30k. Correct me if I am wrong, but the 30K is only an oil and filter (pollen) change correct?  I was planning on doing this myself because it is easy. 

Is the 45K service the spark plug change??

I already ordered the oil wrench tool and printed the directions.

I just completed this service on my 00 996 C2 - All except the plugs - it was VERY easy and straight forward thanks to the DIY section from this board.... and I saved about $500 - plus it was fun....

• 3 weeks later...
  • Admin
Major maintenance USA up to and including model year 2001

Major maintenance after

30,000, 60,000, 90,000, 120,000 mls etc.

Diagnosis system: Read out fault memory

Polyrib belt: Check condition

Change the engine oil and oil filter

Replace the spark plugs

Vehicle underside and engine compartment: Visual inspection for leaks (oils and fluids) and abrasion (lines and hoses)

Coolant hoses: Check condition;

Radiators and air inlets at front: Visual inspection for external contamination and blockage;

Coolant: Check the level and antifreeze protection

Air cleaner: Replace the filter element

Particle filter: Replace the filter element

Fuel system: Visual inspection for damage, routing and secure fit of line connections

Power steering: Check the fluid level

Parking brake: Checking the free play of the parking brake lever

Brake system: Visual inspection of the brake pads and brake discs for wear

Brake hoses and lines: Visual inspection for damage, routing and corrosion. Checking the brake fluid level

Clutch: Check the play and pedal end position

Throttle actuation: Check smooth operation, check the full throttle position with the Tester

Steering gear: Visually inspect the bellows for damage

Track rod joints: Check the play and dust bellows

Axle joints: Check play, visual inspection of dust bellows for damage, check screw connections of running gear adjustment facility, front and rear, for secure fit

Drive shafts: Perform a visual inspection of the boots for leaks and damage

Exhaust system: Visual inspection for leaks and damage, check suspension

Tyres and spare wheel (collapsible wheel): Check the condition and the tyre pressure

Check the door, lid locks and safety hooks of the front lid to ensure that they are secure and functioning properly

Seat belts: Check function and condition

Vehicle lighting: Check function; All headlights: Check adjustment; Horn: Check operation.

Windscreen wiper/washer system, headlight washer: Check fluid level and nozzle settings, pay attention to antifreeze protection in the winter months.

Electrical equipment as well as warning and indicator lights: Check operation.

Test drive:

Remote control, front seats, foot and parking brakes (also actuation travel), engine, clutch, steering, transmission, ParkAssistent, automatic speed control, TC/PSM switch, heating, air-conditioning system and instruments: Check operation.

Oils, fluids: Visual inspection for leaks

USA Additional maintenance,

replacing spark plugs

911 Carrera (996) up to and including MY'00 (Y) every 30,000 mls

911 Carrera (996) as of MY'01 (1) every 60,000 mls or at least every 4 years

We just did one for about $100 2 weekends ago.

img_1115_015.JPG