Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

a couple of wierd problems / concerns

From a few days ago, when I lock or unlock my car the locks now are very quiet. They unlock the car just fine, but I was used to hearing them loudly go thunk, thunk. Now I cannot really even hear them make any noise hardly.

Also I have been running different tranny fluid- supposedly the gt3 fluid, it shifts great but I have noticed I can always feel the gears when changing gears, there is seemingly no cushion to inhibit the feeling or whatever, cause for concern?

Lastly, anyone have ps2 tires? Is it me or does it seem that they like more pressure than others/ they have squirmy sidewalls? I am running 36/40 and the rears squish around corners. Further even at normal pressure in the fronts the car really likes to move around on the grooved freeway at 80+. I find myself making adjustments a lot and it's annoying.

another concern I have is how much of a drag the AC has when I drive the car and turn it on. It is grossly noticeable. Further it makes the clutch engagement much much different. Is this normal?

• Admin

Well, without a PST2 the only things I can think of is to listen to compressor for a worn bearing and also the front radiator fans. The radiator fans should kick up to stage 2 (high) whenever the AC is on. Also, the RPM should come up about 100-200 RPM.

With a PST2 (or PIWIS) there are about 2 dozen items you can check and test.

From a few days ago, when I lock or unlock my car the locks now are very quiet. They unlock the car just fine, but I was used to hearing them loudly go thunk, thunk. Now I cannot really even hear them make any noise hardly.

Also I have been running different tranny fluid- supposedly the gt3 fluid, it shifts great but I have noticed I can always feel the gears when changing gears, there is seemingly no cushion to inhibit the feeling or whatever, cause for concern?

Lastly, anyone have ps2 tires? Is it me or does it seem that they like more pressure than others/ they have squirmy sidewalls? I am running 36/40 and the rears squish around corners. Further even at normal pressure in the fronts the car really likes to move around on the grooved freeway at 80+. I find myself making adjustments a lot and it's annoying.

RE: the PS2's = YES! I switched from non-N rated Pilot Sports and on a recent club drive, I noticed significant squirming. I was getting ready to take my car back to have the alignment checked (Euro 030 suspension) but maybe it's the tire pressure. I run 32 front and 36 rear. I ran the same pressures on the other Pilot Sports and got 33K miles on the rears so if these PS2's require much higher pressures, I hope it doesn't come at the expense of tire wear. I'll bump them up and see if the squishiness goes away.

RE: the PS2's = YES! I switched from non-N rated Pilot Sports and on a recent club drive, I noticed significant squirming. I was getting ready to take my car back to have the alignment checked (Euro 030 suspension) but maybe it's the tire pressure. I run 32 front and 36 rear. I ran the same pressures on the other Pilot Sports and got 33K miles on the rears so if these PS2's require much higher pressures, I hope it doesn't come at the expense of tire wear. I'll bump them up and see if the squishiness goes away.

Jeff, I am getting 8K - 10K on my rear tires. Spirited driving but nevertheless that's what I am getting. The front tires do about 20K miles.

XCheers HarryR C2

RE: the PS2's, I agree with the squirm you are talking about, I just installed them, and took the car to the track. The first two lapping sessions out, I wanted to throw the tires away! I was coming off the OE Pilot Sports. But with an increase of tire pressure 40F, 46R (hot pressure) things started to even out a bit. They are not going to be my next set of track tires though, and wear seems to be about what is stated above 10,000R and 20,000F.

Thanks I know I am not crazy now. I am running 36/40 and this seems better cold temp for daily driving. I will try those other temps when I go out to the canyons. The weird sloppy feeling must be due to the variable contact patch and greater slip angle the design gives even at a lower load rating v. a normal tire- i.e. less distortion. These tires actually are designed to distort to give more contact patch. It feels really wierd but I am pushing the limit more and more and it just keeps going until the fronts while ever so slightly and push out a bit very linearly I might at at 120 through a corner :) I think I miss my bfg kd's even though I complained about them it was the corner balancers fault for making them feather because he set the car too low and the shocks couldn't work right and not the kd's hmm. Well the wet traction is grossly superior as the kd's had ZERO :)