Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Heat transfer from the engine to the rear trunk

Is there some way I can reduce the heat transfer from the engine to the rear trunk? I am a semi-pro musician in my spare time and it gets too warm back there to keep a stringed instrument. Would installing some heat shielding inside the trunk help or would that be a detriment to the motor? Actually, I'd love to be able to run some kind of conduit from the A/C to the trunk to keep it cool.

Regards,

Mike

You won't hurt the motor by insulating or cooling the rear trunk - the heat is 99% from the muffler which is right under the rear trunk. Above the muffler is a formed sheet of aluminium? backed by about 1/2inch of fiberglass insulation. You could probably add another 3/4 of insulation above the muffler, but I don't know how much difference another R-3? would make.

Running your existing A/C to the trunk would be difficult and probably expensive.

If a folded blanket inside the trunk under your instrument case does help enough, you might try a standalone cooling system, like a 'cool shirt'. http://www.coolshirt.net/home.htm

quote=deliriousga,Oct 11 2005, 11:31 AM]

I am a semi-pro musician in my spare time and it gets too warm back there to keep a stringed instrument.

That's why mine has to go in the passenger seat with the seatbelt on to keep it from sliding and scratching the interior. May be your only choice.

My drums fit in the front trunk :D

Joricover.jpg[