Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

EVO air induction kit

Save your money, unless you just want a sound upgrade. There have been a lot of discussions on the upgrade topic, including intake. headers exhaust and chip. Some say it is worth it some say no. I did it on my last car and could not tell the difference.

You know, if I could do all the above changes for $1000 or so I might take the risk, but for $2500 and up for those changes....forget it. IMO.

Edited by neil.schneider

Save your money, unless you just want a sound upgrade.  There have been a lot of discussions on the upgrade topic, including intake. headers exhaust and chip.  Some say it is worth it some say no.  I did it on my last car and could not tell the difference.

You know, if I could do all the above changes for $1000 or so I might take the risk, but for $2500 and up for those changes....forget it. IMO.

My case is somewhat different. A friend has the EVO air filter/air box and cleaning kit and will sell it to me for 1/2 price of what he paid 'cause he will be returning his lease back to the dealer (this is 1 of many aftermarket parts I will be buying from him). It's just the EVO air filter/air box, nothing else. So, all I need is guidance as to whether or not I should make this mod or keep the stock set-up.

Last thing I want is to hurt the engine with a sub-standard product. After all, if they don't deliver in their claims for increased HP/TQ why would one think they would deliver in proper air filtration?

Thanks,

You've pretty much answered your own question.....one would have to believe that the factory made sure that air flow and filtration from the OEM air box and air filter would be more than what is actually required. DIN horespower measurements require these attachments fitted to the engine in order to certify the true hp rating of the engine. Porsche is known for delivering every engine that at the very least least conforms to the rated hp in the advertising/specifications.

First off, this issue has been discussed almost everywhere here. Clearly, there is the camp that feels changing intake/filters makes a difference and then there are those that feel it doesn't largely because of the following:

"Why wouldn't Porsche have increased inflow in the first place if that was all that was required for easy HP gains?"

That's a good question. I don't have an answer. But, I have undertaken some simple performance mods on my motorcycles and dynoed it all things equal except for the change. It's unbelievable what a freer flowing exhaust and intake did for my bike. And it was ABSOLUTELY noticeable on the road...scary noticeable from stock. Now, perhaps the bike benefitted from shedding 20 lbs from the stock exhaust to aftermarket, and perhaps it's more noticeable because bikes are SO much lighter. But, whatever the case may be, it just makes sense.

And the reason it makes sense is because Porsche has something called California emissions that it has to deal with. The minute you start sacrificing performance for the environment, you start to give up a little edge. Accordingly, intake/exhaust mods from after-market companies that are not beholden to these emissions standards should add some measure of power. The REAL question is, "How noticeable?" I guess that's a matter of perspective and perception.

As for me, I haven't modded my 911 yet, but I am getting very close to swapping out the exhaust and the intake (or at least the filter). We shall see...

First off, this issue has been discussed almost everywhere here.  Clearly, there is the camp that feels changing intake/filters makes a difference and then there are those that feel it doesn't largely because  of the following:

"Why wouldn't Porsche have increased inflow in the first place if that was all that was required for easy HP gains?"

That's a good question.  I don't have an answer.  But, I have undertaken some simple performance mods on my motorcycles and dynoed it all things equal except for the change.  It's unbelievable what a freer flowing exhaust and intake did for my bike.  And it was ABSOLUTELY noticeable on the road...scary noticeable from stock.  Now, perhaps the bike benefitted from shedding 20 lbs from the stock exhaust to aftermarket, and perhaps it's more noticeable because bikes are SO much lighter.  But, whatever the case may be, it just makes sense.

And the reason it makes sense is because Porsche has something called California emissions that it has to deal with.  The minute you start sacrificing performance for the environment, you start to give up a little edge.  Accordingly, intake/exhaust mods from after-market companies that are not beholden to these emissions standards should add some measure of power.  The REAL question is, "How noticeable?"  I guess that's a matter of perspective and perception.

As for me, I haven't modded my 911 yet, but I am getting very close to swapping out the exhaust and the intake (or at least the filter).  We shall see...

Don't waste your money.

Before my 996, I owned an Acura CL Type "S". I did the K&N swap on this car. I did not notice/feel any HP gains. However, I did notice that my oil got dirty much much faster.

The positive is a few more mainly unnoticeable horses.

The negative is that more dirt particles are allowed to pass through the filter. Hence more contamination within the throttle body, intake manifold, cylinder sleeves, and eventually within the oil itself.

I weighed everything out and decided to go back to the stock filter because I did not want to prematurely wear the engine.

i have done the swap in my 99 c2

in terms of power- the difference is not noticeable

personally, i like the way the engine sounds with the evo in place

i had a similar situation in that i got a very good deal on one so the cost was not much of an issue

install was a snap- so i figured i could always take it off.

i put it on and it is still on

do it for the more audible whine of the engine.

i love that sound

it is why i keep coming back to porsches

i used ot have an air-cooled 911 and it sounds more like that to me

so on it stays.

hope this helps

I participated in running a Range Rover Defender desert rally car until recently.

We all had a certain oiled replaceable manufacturer's name plastered on our vehicles. We had to, it was part of the required decal display.

Virtually all of us ran paper elements - mostly factory stock. Bikes to a great extent made these filters popular. Mostly two strokes, lousy volumetric efficiency and rebuilt frequently. Advanced wear was a non issue.

If you want noise, go for it. If you want performance think who has the better engineering group. If you plan to keep your car for awhile ...