Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

How to clean inside wheels?

OK, guys. After reading how you use Rejex or something similar to coat the inside of your wheels and make brake dust removal easy, I decided to take mine off and wash them (insides) for the first time (car is 5 yrs, 45,000 miles).

I really like the general look of seeing silver color through the spokes, but there was plenty of black (paint?, tar?, rubber? .... or a mixture of all 3) that would not come off with simple washing.

My wheels are 18" turbo look, OEM. I cannot tell if the inside surface is painted, or coated in any way. Can I safely use harsher cleaners, or abrasives (plastic pad or steel wool) on the inside surface .... or will I ruin them in some way.

Bottom line, now that I'm most of the way there, I would really like to clean the insides up well, then Rejex them for the future.

Any suggestions on the best (and safe) way to go about it?

Thanks,

Kim

2000 Cab

Hi Kim

You might try P21S Gel with a nylon brush on the insides. Brake dust is tough to remove especially after 45k. Scrub the P21S into the area and wash off until the debris is gone. Soak the inside for a bit , then scrub it and it should come clean after washing it off. Hope that helps, worked well for me.

Hi Kim

You might try P21S Gel with a nylon brush on the insides.  Brake dust is tough to remove especially after 45k. Scrub the P21S into the area and wash off until the debris is gone. Soak the inside for a bit , then scrub it and it should come clean after washing it off. Hope that helps, worked well for me.

After today's scrubbing, I really don't think what is left is brake dust. It appears to splotches of rubber, tar, and/or black paint.

My most pressing question is: how hard can I scrub inside the wheel? Is the surface painted?

Kim

Yes, wheel barrel is painted. I use a scouring pad and scrub lightly with water. Don't do it often and scrub hard or else the clear coat will peel.

Wheel cleaner is good. If you really can't get it 100% clean, leave it. It'll get coated in a hundred miles anyway.

• Moderators

The black splotches you see may also be Cosmoline that has gotten dried out and hard. If the other suggestions fail, then try some 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover, or go down to Home Depot, and buy a can of Mineral Spirits, and try that on the splotches.

Usually dried on Cosmoline needs to be soaked to get it soft for removal.

buy the stick wheel deal that comes in a 3 pack from griots they are the best kept secret ever. I can get them 100% clean with normal crap. The only thing that remains is old wheel wait adhesive strips. You will need the 3m remover for that. The stick works best using circles and also getting in just behing the front parts at an angle- I have 5 spokes.