Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Oil Separator Replacement

Thanks to the help of the forum I have been able to determine the oil separator in my 97 2.5 needs to be replaced. I first attempted to remove myself however the hints given in some of the other posts were not sufficient for me to determine how to remove.

Since it sounded from some of the other posts as though this is not a major repair cost I contacted my dealership. They told me 6 hours labor plus parts total around $700. I also checked with a local service shop specializing in porsche repair and they quoted the same cost.

Does this sound reasonable for this repair? Is it really within the abilities of a competent DIY without a service manual? Anybody have a link to some instructions?

Any Help or Advice appreciated

My oil separator and bellows tube (oil vent line) was replaced in January of 2004 by the dealer. The labor was 2.55 hours @98.00 = $249.90. The oil separator (996-107-023-03) was $97.82 and the bellows tube (996-107-145-06) was $30.01 for a total parts cost of $127.83. Total cost of repair was $377.73. I would have tried to do it myself but my Geico extended warranty covered the repair minus the deductible.

I did the repair myself and it wasn't too bad. The most difficult part was getting the clamp open on the bellows. I pinched it with a pair of locking vice grips that worked so that after it was open I could move my hand around and get a better grip to pull it off. I believe I even got the thing open while working from the bottom of the car and then had to move to the top to pull it off. I did not replace the same clamp. Instead, I switched it out for a screw-type clamp which made going back on MUCH easier. As well, I used the bolts securing the unit to the block to pull it togethermost of the way: it did not simply snap into place.

I did not replace the same clamp. Instead, I switched it out for a screw-type clamp which made going back on MUCH easier.

There's a TSB out concerning the spring type clips that came on it originally. They should be replaced with the screw down type (good ones, not el cheapo's) when you remove the old clamps.

When I replaced the oil separator, it took 1.5 hours and has worked beautifully ever since. :jump: