Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Adding hardwire to right fuse panel

I would like to hardwire my Sirius unit instead of using the 12volt outlets under the dash in my Cayenne (so I don't have to turn it off when I leave the car). I would like to run the wires to the right fuse panel. Are there any Porsche fuse kits to add an additional electrical takeoff (I know that they must include such things with their dealer installed units)? Just want the fuse assembly. Also, I need to have this switched, not permanently on. Any TSB on the web site that describes such a thing? I hesitate to take it to the dealer to get this done since I already have a second mortage line of credit to pay for new tires every 9,000 miles and don't want to get a third mortgage just for some wiring.

Thanks for the response. I did review the TSBs but I don't have a Porsche aftermarket Sirius unit, just a Kenwood car kit that let's me take the radio out, so what I need is to run 12-volt line instead of cigar lighter plug and would like to tie it to fuse panel.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got it wired, didn't add a fuse on the panel because it had in-line fuse. I did install the satellite antenna in the spoiler. Using FM connection to the radio and thinking about adding an FM modulator for more power to overide occassional overtalk in some areas of my commute. Any suggestions for the best unit to buy? At the same time wired power to a Parrot blue-tooth from the fuse panel. Gave up on trying to use a wiring harness to the radio for the Parrot and just put in another dedicated speaker. No one at Parrot could help me with why using their harness connection led to such odd current voltage.

I installed the XM Commander unit using the right fuse panel also. I did use the FM modulator kit that came with it and workes great. I also installed a Motorola BlueTooth kit and bought from Becker (The radio mfg) the phone cable. This includes the radio mute wire, and the telephone adio input. I cut the wire from the speacker included in the Motorola kit and added the wire from the Becker kit. You then need to programme the radio for phone (from the user manual) and it works 100%.

• 2 months later...

I've installed bluetooth kits on a number of PCM2.1 equipped Porsches, but have been unsuccessful so far in integrating the phone system audio. I always wind up with alternator whine. As a result, I continue to use the supplied speaker in the installations.

The Mute line and phone audio input seems to work (even without having enabled the phone - as you reference that these instructions are in the manual). Is there a difference in behavior before and after the enabling process?

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
I would like to hardwire my Sirius unit instead of using the 12volt outlets under the dash in my Cayenne (so I don't have to turn it off when I leave the car). I would like to run the wires to the right fuse panel. Are there any Porsche fuse kits to add an additional electrical takeoff (I know that they must include such things with their dealer installed units)? Just want the fuse assembly. Also, I need to have this switched, not permanently on. Any TSB on the web site that describes such a thing? I hesitate to take it to the dealer to get this done since I already have a second mortage line of credit to pay for new tires every 9,000 miles and don't want to get a third mortgage just for some wiring.

Any further guidance-- I'm embarrased to admit that, in spite of crawling all over and doing heavy duty work on every other car I've owned, including my old 911, I haven't even looked under the hood of my Cayenne (what's to look at?) more than twice in the last two years. I should probably be able to figure out where to go in the panel, but where is it? :D I hear a vicious rumor that the battery is under the passenger seat but it is thusfar unconfirmed. :P This is one 50+ year old that has tired of the novelty of playing with cars.

I'd also love to hear from anyone else doing satellite radio on the cheap-- where did you route the antenna and cable? I'm old and wise enough to benefit from other folks' scars, I have enough of my own.

Wanna talk about setting the points in 70's era Opels??

The TSB instructs that the fuse panel is removed and a wired contact inserted for the switched and for the unswitched power. The problem is that a support obstructs removing the fuse panel so the contact may be installed.

Instead, use 0.250 male Faston tabs, poked into the appropriate fuse receptacles, to feed in-line fuses for the device.