Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Air Filter Change Instructions

• Admin

Air Filter Change Instructions

Note: Part numbers sometimes change without notice. Always double check with your supplier that you have the latest part numbers. Parts you will need: 1 ea 996 110 131 52 Air Filter or equal (BMC or K&N Filter) Tools you will need: 13 mm socket or wrench Regular screwdriver Phillips screwdriver Remove hexagon-head bolt M6 x 34. (13 mm wrench) Loosen the hose clamp on the throttle body and remove the connection of the sucking jet pumps (not present on ea

• 1 year later...

I'd like to add a clarification to this very helpful DIY.

Everything went smoothly EXCEPT for the unclipping of the plug from the Mass Air Flow sensor. This may have changed in later model 996s (mine is a '02).

A search on another website revealed that I was not alone! Others also had difficulty with this step. One person advised totally removing the MAF sensor using a security Torx screwdriver. Although that is an acceptable approach, it's not really necessary.

Here's how to unclip the MAF connector (at least on my '02 car).

The release for the connector is located in the middle of the broad side of the plug. Unfortunately, the release is on the BOTTOM of the plug, where it can't be seen in it's normally installed position. The release is a square tab, about 1/4 " across. I recommend reaching underneath the plug and pushing inward on the tab, which actually means pushing UP towards the sky. It may take a moderately firm push. It may help to also push the connector a little more snugly in towards the MAF sensor as you push the release tab. There will be a very noticeable click feeling when the plug disengages.

If you don't have any luck with that approach, you can always complete the removal of the airbox as per the above instructions, then carefully turn the box over with the connector still attached to the MAF sensor. That way you can actuallly visualize what you're doing.

My only other tip, as noted in the diagram of Loren's DIY is to make sure the two downward locating pins on the airbox are properly postioned in the rubber grommets upon reinstallation. The grommets tend to become displaced every time you lift out the airbox.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Better late then never: If you have problems with all of the above, you can remove the 5-6+ phillips head screws that hold the top part of the box to the body. remove and replace the filter, wipe out the box, and rescrew down the phillips screws. By the way, the phillip head screws will not come out when fully loosened. Just don't tug too hard on the top box to mess with the MAF sensor. This way you may not have to remove the rubber intake as well.

• 1 year later...

This is the support topic for the DIY Tutorial Air Filter Change Instructions. Please post here if you have any questions or feedback.

I recently replaced my air filter. On my next drive the check engine light came on. When I opened it up, I found that I had forgotten to reattach the MAF sensor wire. Would this cause the check engine light to come on? If so, would it go off on it's own after I connect the MAF wire?

Thanks to all for this forum.

• Admin

This is the support topic for the DIY Tutorial Air Filter Change Instructions. Please post here if you have any questions or feedback.

I recently replaced my air filter. On my next drive the check engine light came on. When I opened it up, I found that I had forgotten to reattach the MAF sensor wire. Would this cause the check engine light to come on? If so, would it go off on it's own after I connect the MAF wire?

Thanks to all for this forum.

Yes, and Yes. A disconnected MAF will give a fault P0102.

It should go off after a few drive cycles. If it does not - then it would be best to see if there are other fault codes.

• 3 months later...