Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

986 Hardtop Help please

Evening all,

After bidding on a few hardtops ,and not winning! on Ebay, I was put in touch with Design 911 who apparently always have a few for sale. I went there yersterday and bought a brand new top in an unusual colour which looks acceptably OK on my car.

But, with the hardtop on and secured the roof warning light is on on the dash, does anyone know if there would be anything I should check for, obvious or not ?

Also, the top goes on OK and locks onto the header rail and the spinlocks line up, but even when I push the levers until they have reasonable pressure there is still quite a large gap between the hardtop rear edge and the soft top cover panel on the car, is this normal ? I haven't looked at any others yet but will do this week to compare.

Well pleased with the roof though. And may eventually consider getting it re-painted but am happy enough as is at the mo.

Cheers,

Andy

I might be wrong here (only had my top on for a couple of months last year) but I thought the roof warning light only came on when you undid the centre catch on the softop. Once the softop is fully lowered the light should go out again. Are you saying the light comes back on when you attach the hardtop? Was it out after lowering the softop completely?

Firstly, many thanks for the quick replies, much appreciated. Problem solved .

As both of you thought it was odd about the light being on I have been out to the garage for a play before answering. I bought the top yesterday and was driving around with the roof down, no light showing, until buying and fitting the hardtop, the light was not on until returning with the hardtop on yesterday and when getting the car out for washing today.

I have just loosened the centre catch and spin lock levers and tried the open roof button, it powered a motor for about 2/3 seconds and the light has gone out. Done the catch and levers up and all is ok.

Many thanks.

While on the subject, one of the locking levers will not quite go *over centre* and actually lock, should I just adjust it slightly with the 5 allen bolts by the lever to let the hood up slightly ?

Brilliant site by the way, I look over it every 2 or 3 days and have learned tons from here. Thanks. I am in UK.

Cheers,

Andy

Edited by Andy M

Haven't any experience on adjusting hardtops so over to TP again.

What I would suggest though is registering with www.boxa.net and put your location down, then try meeting up with some local owners at the various Porsche Club GB, TIPEC and other events. Nothing beats seeing other cars or picking other owner's brains beside their cars.

Thanks Paul,

I am on Baxa.net, look at it most evenings when I get in from work, but haven't met up with anyone from there yet. Must make more effert to join in really. And keep meaning to go to my local PCGB monthly meet but am just a bit worried in case they are all a bit 911ish.

Cheers,

Andy