Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Windshield Crack Repair

Recently got a small crack from road gravel hitting the windshield. Has anyone had their windshield on their 986 "repaired"?

not on my 986 but on my A4...

if it's in your direct line of site, I'd take a bat to the windsheild and have it replaced... assuming you have glass coverage, the repairs can be very good and if it's not in your direct line of site you probably won't notice it if it's done by a skilled person... however, if it's in front of your face you'll see it no matter what and it'll bug the hell out of you

Recently got a small crack from road gravel hitting the windshield. Has anyone had their windshield on their 986 "repaired"?

not on my 986 but on my A4...

if it's in your direct line of site, I'd take a bat to the windsheild and have it replaced... assuming you have glass coverage, the repairs can be very good and if it's not in your direct line of site you probably won't notice it if it's done by a skilled person... however, if it's in front of your face you'll see it no matter what and it'll bug the hell out of you

It's way off to the side, so seeing it is not much of an issue. It looks like the crack could spread, otherwise I wouldn't be concerned about it.

I understand the windshield is an intregal part of the structure of the vehicle, so I was concerned that having this repair done might weaken it.

I understand the windshield is an intregal part of the structure of the vehicle, so I was concerned that having this repair done might weaken it.

The windshield FRAME is an integral part of the roll cage. It is exceptionally stiff and will help protect your brains if you expereince a rollover.

The windshield is pretty much just a windshield.

I am getting my second windshield replaced in a week or so.

FYI - Be sure they order the correct windshield for dimming mirrors/rain sensor/regular mirrors. I believe there are 3 ALMOST identical versions for the 986. I don't believe anyone makes an aftermarket windshield so the genuine porsche part will be ordered (and expensive).

You can pick up a glass repair kit at auto parts store for $10. With 20 min, you can fill the bulleye with the resin. Do this soon before the crack expands!!!

If you want to have someone do it, take it to an auto glass shop. They'll be happy to do it for you for an extra fee.

I have had chip/crack repairs in four different cars over the years, each with very good results. My recollection is that they wouldn't perform any repair if the damage exceeded the size of a quarter or was essentially in the view of the road ahead. They basically inject an epoxy or resin of some kind into the damage. The result in my experience has been an improved appearance with no further propagation of the damage. Key point: The repair was covered entirely by my insurance company, w/o having to pay my comp. deductible.

--Brian