Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Oil Change, Transmission & Clutch

I have a 2002 C4S with 37,000 miles on it. I purchased it with 32,000 miles in August. Upon delivery I had it taken in for a 30,000 major service. This car will not be tracked. It is my semi-daily driver. This car is the funnest thing I have ever driven. My brother said it felt like his Ducati in the acceleration department.

Anyway, the manual says to change the oil every 15,000 miles or 1 year. I am from the old school of 3000 or 3 months. I know Porsche is one of the most highly engineered automobiles out there and there must be a reason why they recomend this. Am I safe to stay with what the manual says.

Same thing on the Tranny it says to change the oil every 60,000 miles.

On the Clutch when should I replace it. Is there a mileage interval or just when I start to feel it slipping.

Thanks for any help out there.

sotucfs

Oil capacity in the late model 996 is approximately 10 quarts with a filter change. The recommended oil types are synthetic (Mobil1 0w40 is just one Porsche approved oil) - oils and engines have come a long way since the 3 months/3000 miles adage of years ago.

If you want to be particular, change the engine oil and filter every 6 months/7500 miles.

As for the gearbox - you could do the changes at 30k miles just for your own peace of mind.

The clutch life is almost completely dependent on how you drive........slippage is the most practical indicator.

Enjoy!

I just had the transaxle fluid changed along with oil, mount and balance of new tires and wheels, and an alignment. I replaced the transaxle with a full synthetic 75-90 product made by BG. Helped the slight notchiness when going from 1 to 2. All the shifts feels smoother too. Highly recommend the transaxle fluid change. Its an easy do it yourself too.

Also, I'd recommend getting the alignment done by someone you know has a good reputation (not necessarily your dealer). The difference a good alignment will make in handling will amaze you.

As far as oil goes, most of the major manufacturers bumped their service intervals a few years back. It was not the 'technology' of the fluids or the cars that caused the change. Instead, it was the JD Powers, et al. service cost numbers. By extending the service interval, the manufacturers decreased the paper cost of ownership, boosting their rankings. It also seemed to coincide with the included maintenance push that many of the majors (BMW, Mercedes, etc.) started. Hmmmm. Wonder why that was? :rolleyes:

Edited by viper501

• 3 weeks later...