Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Trading in my R171 SLK 350 for a 987 or 987 S

Finally decided to trade in my R171 SLK 350 for a 987 tip or 987 s. Will test drive the 987 next tuesday with the dealer and if he doesn't renege on his trade in price (people usually do that... on the spot), I think I am all set.

Only problem, no demo car in 987 plain and the demo on 987 s is tiptronic. I wouldn't mind but at 115,000 USD (I am in HK), the price is pretty hefty.

Only concern is going from SLK 350 (3.5) to a 987 plain tip 2.7 maybe a bit of a step down in power. However, the S maybe heavy toll on my budgetting for next year and the wife is definitely gonna pound me on this.

Base 987 plain vanilla with 18" wheels and metallic paint approximately 100K USD. The 987 s with the single option of metallic paint (18" wheels already standard) is 115,000K so the answer is 15 k more.

The ownership cost and insurance are also factors. In fact, the ownership cost dealer service will be 6500 USD for 2 years all wear and tear parts and service inclusive and it's a must so it's 3.3% of your purchase price a year for the first 2 years. For additional 2 years thereafter (which most people also prone to buy) is 7500. Then it becomes 5% or so every year for year 2-4.

I actually bought extended warranty for my Mercedes thinking that I would actually own it for 3 years and ownership cost on average = 2.5% a year. A few said the road conditions in HK (AVERAGE speed in HK's city driving is about 50 km/hr and highway 60 or so) make the base model a real good buy but if you really wanna have that rocket push sometimes, S is the way to go. At least the salesman had been telling me that I should simply get the S if I ain't really into pushing it hard.

So the answer is I can afford it but the S is gonna be 15k more... worth it or not? I can't tell cos I don't have a base tiptronic to test and only the S but I don't wanna get the 987 base and be disappointed cos I tested the S and had different expectations.

If performance is important to you get the S however if you REALLY must have the tiptronic you will probably be better off with the SLK350. The 350 will be quicker than the 987S Tip...... in fact if you had a 987S Tip you could find that a base 987 manual will be quicker (the 2.7 manual is quicker on paper than the 3.2 Tip).

I'd vote for the S. Not sure if you need the 6 speed in HK, but brakes are nice factors too. My time in HK was limited, but SLK 350 probably didn't get to stretch its legs much either. Good luck. Either will be a satisfying experience!

• 4 months later...