Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Help...My airbag light came on this morning after a battery install.

The light has never been on and the only thing that I have done is take battery out and install a battery. Is there anything simple that can cause this? I called the dealer and they said something about a seat belt clip update..blah blah blah and that would cost me $800! Someone please help if possible. I do not want to give $800 to the dealership for a small problem I can fix myself. I just do not know where to begin, and I do not want to mess with the airbag system with no clue.

Thanks,

Pat

• Admin

You did not say what year your car is? This is pretty common on MY99 and older (Carrera and Boxster). it did happen on some MY00 cars too.

There is a TSB for the seat belt buckle problem (it is available here for viewing by Contributing Members). The problem is that the original seat belt buckles and electrical connectors can corrode over time and cause intermittent signals - this turns on the airbag light. Only a PST2 or PIWIS tester can turn the light off (once the problem is fixed).

The buckles and connector pins need to changed to the newer gold plated ones. The TSB is 12 pages of retrofit instructions and the work requires soldering. The TSB time estimate is 2.8 hours.

Unless you are familiar with electrical work you might want to leave this to a shop. I think you can get a better quote than $800 - in some cases Porsche AG has split the cost with customers. If you go to an independent shop jut make sure they have a PST2 or PIWIS tester to turn the airbag light off once the problem is fixed.

• Admin
Thanks Loren. Does me replacing the battery have anything to do with this? Also, does it being 10 Deg this morning have anything to do with it? I am hoping a reset will do the trick.
I doubt it. Like I said it is a poor connection problem - so the cold weather might be more of a factor.

You can try resetting it (with a PST2 or PIWIS tester) but I think it will keep coming back on until it is fixed. JMHO.