Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Brake fluid change

Just about to do the brake fluid change on my 99 996, for right hand drive 996's the master cylinder is on the right hand side of the car, am I correct in assuming I should start with the left rear wheel, the DIY is for left hand drive cars and suggests to start with the right rear.

• Moderators
Just about to do the brake fluid change on my 99 996, for right hand drive 996's the master cylinder is on the right hand side of the car, am I correct in assuming I should start with the left rear wheel, the DIY is for left hand drive cars and suggests to start with the right rear.

You hypothesis is correct only if you were changing the brake fluid in the northern hemisphere. Since you are in Australia, you can compensate for southern hemisphere gravitational pull by inverting the car. Then starting with the left wheel as viewed from the front of the car would be correct.

Lastly, when re-torquing the wheel lug nuts be sure to accomplish this by using only a left-handed torque wrench.

You hypothesis is correct only if you were changing the brake fluid in the northern hemisphere. Since you are in Australia, you can compensate for southern hemisphere gravitational pull by inverting the car. Then starting with the left wheel as viewed from the front of the car would be correct.

Lastly, when re-torquing the wheel lug nuts be sure to accomplish this by using only a left-handed torque wrench.

Thanks Orient, hadn't thought of that, that would make it easier to get the cosmoline off the engine and gearbox too, is this the method you use for your concours prep.

I'll re phrase the question, do I do the wheel furthest from the master cylinder first. That seems logical to me but I just wanted to make sure I was doing it correctly and not leaving any old fluid in the system. The position of the master cylinder is different on LHD and RHD cars.

Edited by rattles

Thanks Orient, hadn't thought of that, that would make it easier to get the cosmoline off the engine and gearbox too, is this the method you use for your concours prep.

I'll re phrase the question, do I do the wheel furthest from the master cylinder first. That seems logical to me but I just wanted to make sure I was doing it correctly and not leaving any old fluid in the system. The position of the master cylinder is different on LHD and RHD cars.

Yes. Do the back left wheel first.

Yes. Do the back left wheel first.

thanks

• Moderators

Rattles:

Yes, it is the left rear for your car. Keep in mind that there is still going to be a little fluid stuck in the ABS manifold that you will not be able to get out without using the a PST to command the individual circuit valves to open, but it is not much.

Cheers

:jump:

Thanks,

I use a good independant mechanic to do the major services so will only be doing the brake fluid changes when I do the minor services. Hopefully he does the ABS when he does them, I'll check with him next time.

Just think in terms of bleeding the longest lines first-

Thanks,

I use a good independant mechanic to do the major services so will only be doing the brake fluid changes when I do the minor services. Hopefully he does the ABS when he does them, I'll check with him next time.