Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Gravel Guard Kits

Folks:

Needed some minor body work to my 2000 C2 Cab which required the removal of a few pieces of an existing gravel guard kit. I bought the car with the kit, consequently, I'm unaware of it's origins. My local Porsche dealer, who arranged for the repairs, noted that the kit was not OEM Porsche, so I can't easily match the shape of the remaining pieces. I'm wondering if anyone, or maybe a bunch of anyones, has experience with gravel guard kits and could recommend something they liked that was reasonably priced. If not, any ideas where I might start poking around? Thanks in advance for your input and suggetions.

ix ix vi

I'm not sure what you mean by 'gravel guards' as it isn't a term we use in the UK. We have things we call 'mud flaps' which I believe are called 'spashguards' in the US. Anyway, these are what I have fitted to my car:

post-4000-1139480159.jpgpost-4000-1139480185.jpg

I think they are quite unobtrusive on mine, but would be more obvious on a light colour car.

They came from Mid-America Motor Works (www.mamotorworks.com).

I'm not sure what you mean by 'gravel guards' as it isn't a term we use in the UK. We have things we call 'mud flaps' which I believe are called 'spashguards' in the US. Anyway, these are what I have fitted to my car:

post-4000-1139480159.jpgpost-4000-1139480185.jpg

I think they are quite unobtrusive on mine, but would be more obvious on a light colour car.

They came from Mid-America Motor Works (www.mamotorworks.com).

Hi Richard:

You're right, those are known as mud flaps, or splash guards. And I would agree, they don't look terribly intrusive. But, what I'm referring to by gravel guards is a custom cut set of clear something or other (vinyl, plastic, etc.) that is applied to the front of the car on the bumper cover, about the first third of the hood, behind the wheel well and around the headlights. They are designed to stop road rocks, etc from damaging the finish, like a bra, but are nearly invisible. My car had an aftermarket set, but I don't know where they came from. The OEM kit is $1200, which I think is ludicrous. I will check with Mid America to see if they have what I need, but still welcome thoughts and suggestions on the issue. Thanks for your input, Richard.

ix ix vi

I have the the transparent "armor" on the front of my 997 (bumper, hood, fenders and side mirrors). I love the stuff. I used a bra previously and hated messing with it every time I wanted it in place. In addition, I have the rock guard version, just in front of my rear wheels, which I will be replacing once I receive the replacement pieces. I'll post the process for all to see including pictures. I love the stuff and wouldn't consider anything else.

I do not know what you mean by gravel guard kit but what I have on my C4 is called a clear bra made by 3M. it protects the paint finish from rock chips. some have done it DIY but the curves especially the bumper is a little bit difficult so i have it professionally installed for $ 630 that is the bumper + part of hood + both side mirror as well as the back side of front fenders just behind the wheel wells. I thinks this has been discussed here before

Hi Gas-Man:

I looked for a thread discussing this issue before I posted my question, but couldn't find one. I'd appreciate you pointing me to it, if you know how it can be found. I think the product is referred to by several names, like clear armor, clear bra, like you mentioned, gravel guard, etc, etc. The kit I had on mine included a couple of pieces around the headlights that seemed pretty practical to me. Especially the one on the inside, next to the hood. I agree with you and will have mine reinstalled professionally, as well. Where did you find this 3M product? Did you buy it seperately and give it to a body shop to install, or did you buy the kit from the shop directly?

Thanks for your input.

ix ix vi

NOTE: It was profesionally installed on my car prior to me getting it, including the mirrors. The pieces I will be replacing are the ones in front of the rear wheels. These pieces are very flat, pre-cut and available through Porsche. As for the hood and fenders, these are pretty large pieces and would require, I believe, a professional. I get really nervous when any form of installation requires me to use a razor blade mere centimeters from my paint. Also, the mirors don't look great, but ok. I'll post pictures of them. You couldn't tell from a distance, but it's obvious once you're close. This is ok with me since I have 12k on my car and not one chip on the car.

I know there are some shops that sell these pre-cut, in which case I would not hesitate to do the install. I'll post the process once I get my pieces and do the job, which will probably be next week.

Some disadvantages worth noting: months or years after installation, a dark line does appear on the edge (it is tacky and attracts grime), it also makes waxing a little more of a chore trying to avoid getting wax under it. You can use a damp, soft tooth brush to remove some of the grime and follow-up with a soft, clean cloth. If it gets really bad, replace the stuff. Mine is over a year in and still looks good.

Found kits: I will be ordering the headlight kit, too.

http://shop.motiveauto.com/porsche-977base-c-361_367.html

Edited by happy911

Ok...

I think I hit the information jackpot. After reading your two posts last night, I did a Google search for 3M Clear Bra. It returned (at least) 10 pages of results, but I barely got thru the first page. I found availability from several different retailers that sell the kit as a whole, or in parts; read an informative article on the subject that was in R&T; got directed to a current thread in Autobahn.com that included a post from a gentleman who deals with the product professionally every day; a link to the appropriate section of 3M's site that includes a list of authorized local installers; and more. I was particularly excited to see that they are available in slightly different shapes. Mine had two pieces around the headlights whereas the factory package has one big piece that wraps around the top of the headlight. That's how the guys at Porsche knew I didn't have a factory kit. Apparently, the OEM kit is available complete only, so you can't replace just one piece. AND, it's $1200!!! The kits I found vary from about $350 to about $600, depending on the cutter/retailer.

Mine wore incredibly well. I bought the car in April of '05 and believe the original owner had the kit installed when he bought the car new in the late spring of 2000. I think the talent of the installer is to be credited for the longevity of the set. I read last night that the 3M product (2 other companies also make the film) is guaranteed for 5 years and expected to last for 7. I got wax build up around the film, which was pretty easy to control, but I never saw a black line attributable to dirt deposits. When I bought the car, there was a good size ding, small gouge really, in the bonnet protector and not a mark in the paint. I was sold on the stuff immediately, before I as much as put a mile on the car! Since the kit is 5 or 6 years old, I'm going to replace the whole thing. From what I read, seems 3M has recently released gen V of the product, which has several improvements.

My body mechanic said he wanted to wait at least a month before applying the kit, which gave me this time to do a little research. On the other hand, I don't want to drive the car until it's reinstalled. The DMV and Dept of Public Works use salt and sand extensively around here at this time of year and I'll have a heart attack if I damage the paint before the new kit's put on.

Thanks to you both for your input. I hope you, and anyone else intereted in the subject, find the google search as productive as I did.

ix ix vi

Ok...

I think I hit the information jackpot. After reading your two posts last night, I did a Google search for 3M Clear Bra. It returned (at least) 10 pages of results, but I barely got thru the first page. I found availability from several different retailers that sell the kit as a whole, or in parts; read an informative article on the subject that was in R&T; got directed to a current thread in Autobahn.com that included a post from a gentleman who deals with the product professionally every day; a link to the appropriate section of 3M's site that includes a list of authorized local installers; and more. I was particularly excited to see that they are available in slightly different shapes. Mine had two pieces around the headlights whereas the factory package has one big piece that wraps around the top of the headlight. That's how the guys at Porsche knew I didn't have a factory kit. Apparently, the OEM kit is available complete only, so you can't replace just one piece. AND, it's $1200!!! The kits I found vary from about $350 to about $600, depending on the cutter/retailer.

Mine wore incredibly well. I bought the car in April of '05 and believe the original owner had the kit installed when he bought the car new in the late spring of 2000. I think the talent of the installer is to be credited for the longevity of the set. I read last night that the 3M product (2 other companies also make the film) is guaranteed for 5 years and expected to last for 7. I got wax build up around the film, which was pretty easy to control, but I never saw a black line attributable to dirt deposits. When I bought the car, there was a good size ding, small gouge really, in the bonnet protector and not a mark in the paint. I was sold on the stuff immediately, before I as much as put a mile on the car! Since the kit is 5 or 6 years old, I'm going to replace the whole thing. From what I read, seems 3M has recently released gen V of the product, which has several improvements.

My body mechanic said he wanted to wait at least a month before applying the kit, which gave me this time to do a little research. On the other hand, I don't want to drive the car until it's reinstalled. The DMV and Dept of Public Works use salt and sand extensively around here at this time of year and I'll have a heart attack if I damage the paint before the new kit's put on.

Thanks to you both for your input. I hope you, and anyone else intereted in the subject, find the google search as productive as I did.

ix ix vi

I had mine applied by a company that does many new high end cars at dealerships. He came to my home with pre-cut pieces for 996s. Cost to me in 02 was $550 and that included around the headlights. 12 inches or so up the trunk lid, the front bumper of course and also around and under the rocker panels. He even had a pre-cut for the base of the fuel cover. I watched the entire installation and it was a work of art...not for amateurs. I have an Arctic Silver 996 and after 3 years you can barely see the film. When I'm finished cleaning and waxing I use cue-tips to run along the edges of the film that's most in view and it has worn well. 2nd pic is the trunk lid line. I have not seen the film on a dark car however.

The only problem I have heard about is someone who had a larger stone hit the poly bumper. the film protected the bumper, but the bumper itself got a little dimple..no paint chip tho.

I took pics of the installation, but they really don't show the quality of the work.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

I looked for a thread discussing this issue before I posted my question, but couldn't find one. I'd appreciate you pointing me to it, if you know how it can be found. I think the product is referred to by several names, like clear armor, clear bra, like you mentioned, gravel guard, etc, etc.

Here is some information I gathered about a year ago when I investigated this issue. Apparently, it makes quite a difference which film you use, and caution dictates a professional installation.

Kim

2000 Cab

Films available:

3M - 1st generation film had many fading issues, which prompted an upgrade in early 2004. The film still uses the same urethane, but a clearer adhesive. The old film also received many complaints about "orange peel" texture that made the film very visible on darker colored vehicles. 3M's new film is clearer, but is still behind in strength and clarity. 5 Yr Warranty

Avery - Film generally fades w/in 1yr and customer service is poor. The company has all, but fallen off the face of the paint protection industry.

Clearshield - Film's quality is very similar to 3M's 1st generation film, if not the same. Tends to yellow and crack in 2-3 yrs. Similar to 3M's 1st gen film, 90% of the adhesives will remain on paint when film is removed. 5 Year Warranty.

Llumar (CP Films) is one of the clearer films on the market. Customer service is lacking and company tends to work warranty claims based on the small print. Film's quality does not reject environmental oxidation, bird droppings, and other chemicals as well as 3M and Venture. Lifetime Warranty

Venture - film's clarity along w/ its patented acrylic adhesives make it the clearer film. Excellent customer service and film looks great on all colors - even black. Lifetime Warranty

INSTALLATION & SOFTWARE DESIGN

Film's quality is only as good as the installation. Searching out a good installer is not an easy task as many companies make outrageous claims of experience and expertise. The most important thing is to see what type of coverage you will get and whether or not it will be in one piece especially for the front bumper. Companies that use 1 piece for bumpers are generally more skilled at paint protection film installations, while software designers such as Clearshield, Invicashield, and Stongard created these kits for those DIYers in mind.

Below are some tips to searching out good installers:

-what type of software do they use. This will dictate their skill level as companies utilizing the 3 software pkgs above are used to having these kits come in multiple pieces for ease of installation.

-how detailed oriented are they........you will have to pick up these little signs while talking with the company or installer

-how long have they been installing paint protection

-are they certified by a film manufacturer? although certification is not a pre-req for being a professional installer, it does show that they received some type of training.

-can they do custom work with one piece of film. This is generally meant for those with aftermarket bumpers or would like to have certain areas wrapped that is not computer generated designs.

-if they do custom work, do they cut on the vehicle? For custom work, a template should be designed for the vehicle and then cut out on a drawing board. This will reduce the chance of cutting on the paint to zero.

-Ask if they use a heat gun to "soften" the material during installation. This is often a technique used by those not familiar w/ proper stretching of material..........this goes back to experience.

-Take a look at their work or better yet, ask for references.

Hi Don:

From what I can tell from your photos, my kit looked very much like yours. Same swooping line across the hood. My car is Ocean Blue, it looks just as unobtrusive as it does on the Silver. The kit really is pretty spectacular, and there's no doubt it works. I think it's just incredible that your acquaintance had a rock hit the car hard enough to cause a dimple in the bumper cover, but the film was still able to protect the paint. I believe that the bumper covers can be restored to factory shape with the use of a hair dryer. You might want to double check that with a qualified body mechanic. The gouge to the film on my hood was pretty substantial as well. Certainly would have left a ding and a chip, but the film absorbed the impact, tore just a bit, but there was not a mark to the paint! Coincidentally, I just got off the phone with the local 3M certified installer. He's going to get back to me with an installed price, he's checking on all of the precut options for me. Said it was about a 4 - 5 hour job!

This clear guard thing is getting crazy! There's a piece available now to go around the A pillar of a Cabriolet! Guy was telling me they just did a vintage Jag XJ220. They custom cut and covered the ENTIRE CAR!!! He was telling me the owner said it was a chip magnet (at first, I thought he ssaid a chick magnet! Which I'm sure it is.)

He just got back to me, said $670. Little high, but not too bad. If he's so good that people are flying him around the country to do the work, he's worth the extra $100. I'll let you all know when the job's done.

Edited by ix ix vi

Here is some information I gathered about a year ago when I investigated this issue. Apparently, it makes quite a difference which film you use, and caution dictates a professional installation.

Kim

2000 Cab

Kim:

Sounds like you decided to go with the Venture, how does it look a year later? I need to find out what was on my car. The job was done several years ago and it still looked pretty much like new. No yellowing, shrinking or cracking at all. The kit on my car had two pieces protecting the fender, one on either side of the headlight. Most of the kits I've seen have a single piece of film wrapping around the top of the headlight. Which do you have? Do you know the length of film on your bonnet? I understand it is available 12, 18 or 24 inches. Any thoughts on how long is long enough? I like the idea of protecting the paint, but I also prefer the look of the car without the film. It's a tough call deciding how much to cover.

Thanks for chiming in.

ix ix vi

Sounds like you decided to go with the Venture, how does it look a year later?

After all my checking, I have done nothing so far. Although my front bumper is in quite good condition, I do not wish to cover it until I have the license plate holes filled, other minor damage repaired, and the bumper repainted. Simply haven't gotten around to it, yet.

Then, I plan to cover only the bumper cover. Although I realize both the almost unnoticeable character of the line on the hood, I just do not desire to have any film edges runnig across mid panel, either on the hood or fenders. So, its bumper only for me.

Kim

2000 Cab

After all my checking,...

Too funny! But, I certainly know how that goes. I also understand how you feel about overdoing it with the film. There's an accessory package available for the Cab that covers the A-Pillers, but I couldn't even consider that. The thing that absolutely sold me on the kit is the way it saved my hood, so it's the full frontal for me.

Sounds like you decided to go with the Venture, how does it look a year later?

After all my checking, I have done nothing so far. Although my front bumper is in quite good condition, I do not wish to cover it until I have the license plate holes filled, other minor damage repaired, and the bumper repainted. Simply haven't gotten around to it, yet.

Then, I plan to cover only the bumper cover. Although I realize both the almost unnoticeable character of the line on the hood, I just do not desire to have any film edges runnig across mid panel, either on the hood or fenders. So, its bumper only for me.

Kim

2000 Cab

If you have those "flared" rocker panels that were an option on 02 at least, I'd suggest getting them coverec as sell, expecially as they roll underneach and come up right behind the wheels. That would be a very good investment. I would also recommend not having the bumper plugs covered. You, or the next owner will have a tough time removing them if they are covered. Besides they are cheap to replace and you could easily cover then yourself. Install them afterward by just punching they the covering over the little square and put the plugs in afterward. BTW, I learned how to remove them w/o ruining them. Take some dental floss and wrap around the plugs, pull each end of the floss while holding your thumbs against the bumper. Then you won't pull the paint off the plug. This comes straight from Eric.

I think the bumper cover would be sufficient. You're right, I hate looking at the stuff but know its a trade-off you have to accept. After returning from the gym this morning, I was backing my car into the garage and accidentally coasted into the fence that separates my property from my neighbor's. While it was very, very slow I did bump (front) into a wood fence. After inspecting the sight, there was a slight nick and scrape in the film. Man, if I had no film I'd be pretty sad today. It saved me today. While I despise the look, just consider it a Porsche trojan.

I still plan on doing the headlights and in front of the rear wheels (I imagine this was probably done at the factory or port because all S models have it). I will post the photos of the entire process. I've done three of my other cars so I'll let you all be the judge. During the winter months it's a little tougher because it's cold and the film is not so pliable, but the hair dryer and heater will solve that problem. I'll try to post some here so you don't have to search too much.

I noticed some of the film on the lowest part of the front spoiler is fraying just a bit. Those high driveways and speed bumps probably rashed me a tad. I may have that piece redone. Check back next week.

Good day!

• 3 years later...

Dear forum users,

Please note that the domain motiveauto.com was acquired by Motiveauto Limited in 2007, and we do not sell Gravel Guard Kits or indeed any parts for Porsche or other vehicles. We do, on the other hand, provide some excellent consulting and training services for the motor trade.

Please disregard happy911's link.

Many thanks,

The motiveauto.com webmaster.

Found kits: I will be ordering the headlight kit, too.

http://shop.motiveauto.com/porsche-977base-c-361_367.html