Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

How to get an extra 12V DC supply in the ash tray ?

Hi,

Is there an option to get rid of the ash tray and instead have a 12v DC power supply there with/without some storage area/bin ? I wanted to integrate my iPod's FM transmitter into the ash tray area and have a piece which plugs directly into the cigarette lighter 12v DC socket.

If the solution isin't as clean as having a proper cigarette lighter 12v dc socket (the round socket), I can crack open most of the transmitter and directly wire it and reassemble it below the plastic - leaving just the ipod connecting cable visable in that area.

I know how to get the middle plastic unit off but I don't know which wires are for what below there. Some snaps would help !

Thanks

Sid

Hmm, that's pretty nice. What is the part number on that dual-power source socket ? Also, where and how did you mount them ? Looks like the male end of the dual power supply fits onto the female "phone power supply" cable from becker ? Am I right ?

Also, do I really need the becker phone power cable (p/n 5001.524-276) ? Can't I directly tap into the power wire that might already exist in the car ? Is there an installation guide online on how to install the becker phone power cable ? That way I can identify the existing power wires and directly use them instead of adding an intermediate 4 pin plug becker provides. I'm thinking of this since it appears that all the becker unit does is provide a 4 pins socket while all I really need are just wires (+ a 1-2 amp fuse in the middle from radio shack). Once I've identified the power wires, I stick in the dual power supply like the one you use. The nthe only problem is mounting those dual power supply sockets as elegantly as possible.

Do we know the current carrying capacity of the power lines I intend to tap into ? I wanted to put the appropriate fuses between the wires and the devices...

thanks !!

Sid

Edited by siddharth

You could hide all the cables under dashboard which you can pull down and hide cables.

1st, thanks for the pics ! A pic is worth a 1000 words ... true in this case ! :) So I'm assuming that you've not exposed the round female power socket in an accessible area ? You've connected your wires thru the regular car chargers and kept the whole bundle (female power socket + male car charger) in that space running only minimal wires in/out ?

1) What's the part number for the dual female power socket you mentioned in your 1st post ?

2) Any ideas on what the maximum current capacity is for the 12v supply ? I wanted to put in a fuse with around 75% of the max current capacity so I don't blow things deeper in the wiring ...

Edited by siddharth