Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

996 X50 tranny part number?

• Admin

Are you asking about the Carrera 996 X51 package? If so, then no the transmission is the same as a standard Carrera (and part numbers vary by year).

If you are asking about the TT X50 package. Yes, there is a different transmission. It is still a G96.50 transmission but the X50 gets part number 996 300 010 55 starting in MY02. The standard transmission in the TT is 996 300 010 50. And, there is a version with limited slip (G96.88) that is part number 996 300 020 88.

Yes, it's an X50 Turbo.

My dealership replaced the transmission under warranty. However, the part number listed on the work invoice is 996-300-010-FX.

I have no idea what "FX" means. Is that the normal encoding on the computers dealerships use? Did they give me the right transmission?

Thanks.

Viken,

Why does the parts list say "without limited-slip differential" then?

(on both 996 300 010 50 and 996 300 010 55)

Oh, sorry. I misread that. Can you tell I'm losing it? :(

I forgot that the AWD cars have PSM. Therefore, no LSD. But, the GT2 does have LSD just like the GT3 does. Anyway, the G96.88 is the GT2 gearbox.

I am still very interested in your opinion on the "996 300 010 FX" thing. Why not just put in "55" instead of "FX"?

When I asked them why not a straight part number, the answer was "don't worry". They have ordered the wrong parts before so I am a bit worried.

Please help? Thanks.

• Admin
I am still very interested in your opinion on the "996 300 010 FX" thing.  Why not just put in "55" instead of "FX"?

When I asked them why not a straight part number, the answer was "don't worry".  They have ordered the wrong parts before so I am a bit worried.

Please help? Thanks.

Here is the page from the parts manual. Sorry but this is all I have.

TT_x50_trans.gif

• Admin

Ah... found it!

After further investigation it looks like it is likely an exchange transmission. These are rebuilt transmissions. I show a 996 300 010 FX exchange transmission in the exchange parts lists. It is an G96.50 X50 for MY02 and newer replacement for 996 300 010 55.

This is fairly common with both engines and transmissions. As a matter of fact I had my 4.5 year radio replaced with an exchange unit that looks and works as good as new.

Edit - If you want to know why I think this is a better transmission - let me know.

Edited by Loren

• Moderators

Loren has it.

You have a remanufactured transmission. Typically Porsche drops the last 2 numbers from the part number and replaces it with 2 letters. If the last letter ends in X then it is remanufactured.

Porsche has a remanufactured parts list on their site but it is mostly for older models. Still waiting for them to come out with a power steering rack as mine is leaking from the seals. http://www2.us.porsche.com/english/usa/own...vices/parts.pdf

• Admin
Loren,  Yes, I'd like to know why you think it's better.  You've peaked my interest.

Ok, here is the way I see it...

In the old days Porsche (and other manufacturers) would expect dealers mechanics to repair and replace any part - internal or external. So a dealership mechanic with very little experience at finding and troubleshooting internal component failures (simply because he didn't see many) may take days to diagnose the problem and then sometimes weeks for the parts to arrive. If he got it right, then your repaired (engine or transmission) was "as good as new". With just those parts replaced.

As the cars have become more complex Porsche no longer expects mechanics to have all the skills need to do complicated repairs (as well as concern for Lemon law liability issues). Today, when an engine or transmission fails the dealership simply replaces your engine (or transmission) with one that has been rebuilt ahead of time by the Porsche factory. Many times replacing an engine or transmission can be done in one day now. The nice thing about having Porsche rebuild the engine or transmission is that Porsche has a genuine interest (again, somewhat because of liability laws) to make sure everything is as right as it can be. My opinion is that a Porsche rebuilt engine or transmission has had more close scrutiny by the factory than the original part.

That makes sense. One news, lately Porsche has changed their policy and asked the mechanics to open up the transmission and engine and try to repair them on the spot.

When I had my problem, I insisted that they replace the unit. The dealership told me that they put in a "new transmission". It turned out to be a rebuilt one.