Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Does our E-Brake come apart

Hi All

Just a quick question today, I would like to know if our e-brake come apart, More so I am curious to

know if the sleve slides on and off, for example the silver button on my handle is scratched and I would like to replace the button how would one do this?? I can only assume the sleve needs to come off , I have tried to pull it off but no luck.Any help would be great. Thanks in advance

post-889-1140908725_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...
I think the button is glued on. I've heard of a couple falling off - but it seems the dealer just glued them back on.

Any idea on the ideal adhesive (and amount of adhesive)? My gut would be a good two-part epoxy, but having not seen what the button needs to be adhered to, I am a little concerned about putting too much into the button and having it overflor and freeze up the mechanism.

Anyone done this before?

Tal

My button actually came off too. I was also weary of putting epoxy in that area. What I did (and it may turn out to be temporary fix) I cut a small piece of double sided tape and pressed it in partially in to the slot on the button. Then I pushed it on to the male part in the brake handle. Worked great and it is firmly on there.

The above post on two-sided tape got me thinking so I gave the remaining internal part of the handbrake a good look with a flashlight to see how the button would attach with an adhesive. The remaining part is best described as looking somewhat like an I Beam. So I pulled out some two part epoxy putty (technically EP400 from Home Depot) and kneaded up an amount about the size of two pencil erasers and placed it in the tip of the button then rolled up a real small "string" of it and put in the notch on the bottom of the button.

While I do no know exactly how much adhesive is needed, the consistency of the expoy putty allowed me to get comfortable that unless I put too much in there, it would not leak (or squeeze) out of the button and adhere something I wanted to move freely.

I let it cure overnight and this morning the button feels firmly attached. I am not going to do something silly like pull on it to see if it will come off, but my test of a quick pull on the handbrake without "covering" the button with my thumb resutled in the button staying in place rather than it popping off as it did before, so I feel pretty good about the solution.

Thanks for the suggesstion of glue and tape. I kept thinking that there was some notch or interference fit that would solve the problem. Did not think about the simple solution.

Tal

• 3 months later...